Brake controller and Anderson plug - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks PWY

By looking at the photo you must have cut out some of that carpet/felt panelling to fit controller. Wish I saw that option before buying a new remote controller.

I read up a bit on the CTEK dual system today, I think about $500+ for dual system with smartpass, just got to find a good wring diagram and figure out size of cable and how to set with caravan solar and dual battery in car.

I still want to find someone who can engineer a slim battery carrier (found flat gel battery thar can lay on side) to fit under rear using tow bar bolts and rear tow hook and supported from drivers side tow bar bolts.

Cheers
Browny
Old 17-05-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Thanks PWY

By looking at the photo you must have cut out some of that carpet/felt panelling to fit controller. Wish I saw that option before buying a new remote controller.

I read up a bit on the CTEK dual system today, I think about $500+ for dual system with smartpass, just got to find a good wring diagram and figure out size of cable and how to set with caravan solar and dual battery in car.

I still want to find someone who can engineer a slim battery carrier (found flat gel battery thar can lay on side) to fit under rear using tow bar bolts and rear tow hook and supported from drivers side tow bar bolts.

Cheers
Browny

Browny,

Dealer fitted the brake controller as part of my deal. Only noticed the carpet in the picture. Need to have a good look in daylight tomorrow.

May also have a look under the car and see where you want to mount a battery. What capacity battery do you have?
Btw AGM instead of GEL battery would probably be better for that purpose and slightly cheaper as well.
I work at a battery place so have direct access to all sorts of batteries at bargain prices

For a wiring diagram just have a look at the wiring diagrams in the ctek dual manual. Google will track it down for you. It also contains a table with the suggested min cable sizes.

If you are considering a CTEK, that's another of the toys we sell at great prices...
Old 18-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi PWY

Yes the battery was a AGM, saw it in 4X4 shop, don't know if it's any good other than it can lay down flat with a height of 110mm, therefore would tuck in under back in some type of case.
REMCO. RM12-105FT. 105ah. 110(w). 490 (l). 240(h). Sealed unit. $495

Also on Federal Batteries web site for info.

Cheers
Browny
Old 18-05-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Hi PWY

Yes the battery was a AGM, saw it in 4X4 shop, don't know if it's any good other than it can lay down flat with a height of 110mm, therefore would tuck in under back in some type of case.
REMCO. RM12-105FT. 105ah. 110(w). 490 (l). 240(h). Sealed unit. $495

Also on Federal Batteries web site for info.

Cheers
Browny
Good size but they are UPS batteries. Built for long standby and relatively few cycles. And important: they are built for sitting on stable ground. They don't like the constant shaking and vibrations in a 4wd. Don't think you would get a very long life out of it.

Looking around in our shop I would probably go for some Fullriver AGM batteries. The small 20Ah versions are only 77mm wide and 4 of them could easily be fitted in a tray. You could even go creative and distribute them in the different cavities or boxes found around the Jeep. Or 2 of the slightly bigger 35Ah versions.
Have a look here http://www.fullriver.com/products/dclist.htm for dimensions and capacities. The DC series are excellent deep cycle batteries and the HC series are very good dual purpose batteries with the advantage that they are capable of easily starting your car if required.
Also Lion has a range of very good AGM batteries in the same sizes as Fullriver.

There are really plenty of options if you look around. And before you spend $500 on a battery, PM me and you will find Jeep owners rates are much better

Now you have planted something in my head... wonder if I can stick some of the 20Ah batteries around the spare wheel area. May have to go for a walk to the car park with a couple of them
Old 18-05-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A mate who builds boats said to remove the spare wheel changing gear, mount it underneath then make a fiberglass mould to hold a battery and slot into spare wheel rim. Not sure if I could be bothered even though I could do the job myself.
I'm in no hurry, just got to take the time to work out best and cheapest solution. Hope to keep the Jeep for a few years!
Old 19-05-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
A mate who builds boats said to remove the spare wheel changing gear, mount it underneath then make a fiberglass mould to hold a battery and slot into spare wheel rim. Not sure if I could be bothered even though I could do the job myself.
I'm in no hurry, just got to take the time to work out best and cheapest solution. Hope to keep the Jeep for a few years!
It is probably possible to turn the spare upside down in the well and mount a battery inside the rim....
In our case as we only use the fridge when travelling now and with the van, I have taken the option to put the battery on a slide in module in the back, This module also holds the fridge, chairs and table and a set of drawers for all sorts of stuff. The battery connects to the DC/DC charger via an Andersen plug and I can use the same charger on the van if necessary. Extra power sockets are on the module and all fed from the module battery to keep the relationship with the Jeep wiring as simple as possible.
I can put the spare on the roof, or on the drawbar of the van, in a cover we have made. By taking a risk I can leave it in place and simply unload the module and slide out if I have to get access to the spare. The individual components are light and easily handled by myself (although the fridge when full is a struggle and the 100a battery is a lump).
The module is fixed in place by the bottom fitting into the lid recess and brackets extending into the spare hold down thread. We used to have this module in our previous Patrols but is has been a fair cut and shut to suit the Jeep. I've gained a fair bit of storage under the module as well, accessible through holes in the base.
Nothing rattles or jumps around and works very well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090189.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	54394   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090190.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	54395   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090198.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	54396   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090201.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	54397  
Old 30-05-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi JnK,

Just so I can get some perspective, what size Engel is it you have there?
Post New Thread  Reply