"15 or 16"? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default "15 or 16"?

Just wondering what wheel and tyre size to go for on my 01 xj classic. It has the stock "16 alloys with 225/70 tyres. If i go for a 31x10.5 is it going to be too big on a "16 wheel or does anyone reckon that a "15 wheel is a better thing?
I realize that it will need a lift regardless which way i go. Also although i like the alloy "16 mags on it now it wouldn't really devastate me to get some tougher looking alloys in either 15 or 16.
Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey ya, Cherokrazy

31x10.5x16 should be fine on standard 16x7 rims. I'm not 100% sure if 15's with standard backspacing will clear your brakes, but I could be wrong. Im running 31x10.5 on standard rims with a 2" lift and the steering stops spaced out 3 washers with hardly any rub. If you cut your guards you could probably fit 31's with no lift.
Old 01-02-2010
RustysRocker

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

A 31" tyre on a 16" rim is exactly the same overall diameter as a 31" tyre on a 15" rim

It used to be that you'd have more options on a 15" than any other rim, but the gap is closing as larger rims become more standard (the JK comes with 17" rims!)

A smaller rim/larger tyre however does allow more bagging of the sidewalls for better traction offroad.
Old 02-02-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Does anybody actually make 31/10.5-16's? It sounds like an odd sized tyre.
Not only will you need lift to fit 31's (3"+ if you want to have some suspension travel which you NEED) you will need to lower the bump stops as well to stop the tyres fouling on the inner guards.
You can get away with 2" and 31's but by the time you lower the bump stops you will be hitting the stops driving on road, not worth it....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 02-02-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

16" rims are sold in metric sizes not imperial sizings.
275 x 70 x 16
which = 31.6 x 10.4 x 15

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Old 02-02-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonkey30 View Post
16" rims are sold in metric sizes not imperial sizings.
275 x 70 x 16
which = 31.6 x 10.4 x 15
Not quite, there are 7.5r16's.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 02-02-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Depending on brands and tread patters ( mud tyres ) they can measure more then what is marked. 33" Centre peeds actualy measure 34.3" so technically, when new they are a 34" not a 33". This is because the tyre is actually measured somewhere in the tread not on the contact surface of the tyre.

Useless information" a cars speedometer is set to this measurement when calculated for gearing. That's why they recomend you use the same tyre it comes out with. Changing tyre brands does change your speedo!
Usualy no more then +\- 3k's.
But once you move into the world of 30" mud tyres and bigger there can be a significant difference.

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Post New Thread  Reply