3.8 Rubicon or CRD with Off road pack? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-04-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 3.8 Rubicon or CRD with Off road pack?

Hi,

So about to buy a jk, only thing is I'm kinda stuck in deciding whether to go the rubi and put up with the fuel bill or go the diesel for the 150 extra torque but lose the d44 and locker in the front plkus other rubi goodies..

Thoughts???
Old 30-04-2014
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Really depends on your future driving preferences.
There is no offroad pack anymore but for the money it's was always cheaper to fit an e/air locker and front discos.

Aside from that if you intend on touring without towing and some serious offroad then the rubi is the choice hands down. Not great on the beach with the low low transfer case but awesome rock/hill climbing.
Although most serious people end up regearing and swapping out axles anyway so apart from the front electronic disco ( that dies anyway) and the low transfer you could built a similar/more suitable "rubi" for your needs without the larger outlay on the first hand.

If you are towing there is no substitute for the diesel and the Dana 30 front can be strengthened of swapped with d44 or Tera30 to reduce the weakness. There is no way anyone can replicate the towing fuel economy of the diesel and the effortlessness of the torque off road although some claim the pentastar is close.

Real world figures is that it is still miles off for towing and close offroad. A recent example was towing a soft floor camper across the nullabor in the V6 got consistently 20l/100km while I tow my 1.8+ ton Jayco swan and has never gone over 14l/100km and that's why I bought my diesel.

So basically you have to decide what you want to do with it as there is good and bad either way... Like you need to do some serious towing in the diesel to still be in front of the V6 in dollar terms if range and availability of fuel is no concern.
Additionally is the extra cost of a rubi going to worth it in the long run if you plan on fitting lockers and regearing with the money saved at a later date??
All good fun choices!!
Talk to as many owners, decide what you really want and make an informed decision!

Goodluck and all the best
Matt

Last edited by Macca2801; 30-04-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry I should have mentioned this is a second hander, 07-09 is the range I am looking at. Both at around100k and $25k.
Old 01-05-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Matt great points. Think I'm pretty well decided on the CRD as I think it will be a better base. I will be normally towing a soft floor camper on trips so that's what really engaged me on the CRD with the 460nm and when I'm not having come from a thristy 6g74 motor I'm keen for something a little less thirsty!

Looking at one tomorrow that looks to be the goods so hopefully I will have something in the next few days! Looking forwad to dropping some bucks straight up on some basic mods (front/rear bars, lift and 35s) and recylcing some off my old truck.

Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply