Quick thank you and possible heads up - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts

AGM mate....they are a start/stop battery....couldnt(the Auto Store owner)find a listing for anything other than AGM start/stop....not fussed...as long as its AGM and compliant Im happy...father inlaw told me its 'all hogwash' and only in place in case you end up with the shiny side down....I have 'selective' hearing during some conversations....dont, and wont, risk battery fumes, let alone leaking liquid, inside any of my buses....having said that only the Jeep, Van and Trailer have internal Batteries, but, they are all AGM....not that poor...atm....to risk the chances of killing myself or Bride/friends/family by saving a few hundred on Batteries....being a punter I reckon the odds are pretty shyte there.
Gave Gina a jump start with the starter pack n took it for a 'maintenance run'....8.3/100......power to burn...mate....there TRUELY is NO comparison after travelling 7k in the Prado on the 'adventure' and doing an 80klm round trip tis morning in the Grand....deadset 'chalk n cheese'....and....the purchase price diff tween the 2, both 2nd hand, was near 30k....ffs...gonna have to say that advertising really works...a lot like Maccas n a REAL Burger...they can attempt 'brain washing me' into believing Maccas is good...but Ive stood in queues at Milk Bars n Take aways tooooo many times to KNOW the truth

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday

Last edited by FARWEST; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:58 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

Drover...we fitted a roof pod to the Prado whilst in Qld to 'accomodate' the retail therapy the Ladies enjoyed...ummmm...dropped them at the 'complex'...went back to the holiday rental...fitted the roof racks and pod...then returned to the complex to pick em up...I was solo during the above process....NO drinks or 'other' influences to 'effect my thinking'....drove straight to the Entry point to meet at the agreed location....heard a 'minor' noise as I passed under the 'height indicator'....hmmm...what was that ???....mind wonders as I approach the undercover carpark....' Shit Pete...that may have been the pod scraping the 2.4m height indicator ???'....its an up ramp from that indicator...single lane...no turning back or around....reached the top of the ramp....next height indicator reads....2.1m.....screwed....story is camp fire stuff from here....short bit....pod was empty so flexible enough to 'accept' the compression experienced....nothing 'broken' except my pride....few 'scratches' on the new pod top and also got the privilege of 'being educated' by the 'extremely patient'....not....drivers held up by my getting out to find the 'heighest' passing points...for me....and my direction of the traffic to allow me to go 'the wrong way' against the traffic flow arrows on the floor....arent people kind ?????.....yeah.....informed one 'charming' critter that I was sure the size 22 Undies that were on special at Kmart would still be there when she drove around me to find a park...a little taken aback by my brazen ability to respond to her 'input' for being 'stuck' I was further instructed to perform an un natural and physically, anatomically, impossible act upon myself....'have a nice day' was my reponse which appeared to further infuriate the beast as it had to turn the steering wheel passed its well bloated steering wheel encroaching 'body region' that started below its neck and ended 'somewhere' out of view from where I was standing....that was one of the 'polite' ones...hmmmmm

Last edited by FARWEST; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:50 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,939 Times in 2,325 Posts

OH Pete, been there done that but with a Kayak on roof that I had forgotten about, in Bundaberg shopping centre, luckily it clicked as I entered and managed to dodge the sprinkler fittings and turn around and exit the entry before I got stuck, upset some of the great unwashed but that was an added bonus................................ Had a battery box lid unclip, proper wet battery, the damage done to fittings by the acid gasses emitted was not nice, also having had one explode on the truck next to me once no way I would have one inside any vehicle, even my shed 12v power job is encased in a box so if it does go bang its enclosed... No its not, just remembered when one of the AGMs in the van croaked the good one replaced the old calcium in shed, so no bang now it will just get flamin' hot and melt..........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,141 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Drover...we fitted a roof pod to the Prado whilst in Qld to 'accomodate' the retail therapy the Ladies enjoyed...ummmm...dropped them at the 'complex'...went back to the holiday rental...fitted the roof racks and pod...then returned to the complex to pick em up...I was solo during the above process....NO drinks or 'other' influences to 'effect my thinking'....drove straight to the Entry point to meet at the agreed location....heard a 'minor' noise as I passed under the 'height indicator'....hmmm...what was that ???....mind wonders as I approach the undercover carpark....' Shit Pete...that may have been the pod scraping the 2.4m height indicator ???'....its an up ramp from that indicator...single lane...no turning back or around....reached the top of the ramp....next height indicator reads....2.1m.....screwed....story is camp fire stuff from here....short bit....pod was empty so flexible enough to 'accept' the compression experienced....nothing 'broken' except my pride....few 'scratches' on the new pod top and also got the privilege of 'being educated' by the 'extremely patient'....not....drivers held up by my getting out to find the 'heighest' passing points...for me....and my direction of the traffic to allow me to go 'the wrong way' against the traffic flow arrows on the floor....arent people kind ?????.....yeah.....informed one 'charming' critter that I was sure the size 22 Undies that were on special at Kmart would still be there when she drove around me to find a park...a little taken aback by my brazen ability to respond to her 'input' for being 'stuck' I was further instructed to perform an un natural and physically, anatomically, impossible act upon myself....'have a nice day' was my reponse which appeared to further infuriate the beast as it had to turn the steering wheel passed its well bloated steering wheel encroaching 'body region' that started below its neck and ended 'somewhere' out of view from where I was standing....that was one of the 'polite' ones...hmmmmm

LOL...never a dull moment mate...just lucky you were in a Toymotor and not the Jeep...less embarrassing!
Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

Well....that all turned to poo.....turns out Layback40 was correct when he diagnosed 'possible' Starter Motor issues in the first place.
Put a new Battery in...drove 400klm....did a dozen or so Starts....nec minut....same thing....everything except the starter engaging when attempting to start.
Checked Battery levels...both standing and under load....perfect.....RAA hooked up the 'device'....."you have the key on mate ???".....nope.....he rang his boss...coincidentally a 2013 Grand Cherokee Diesel owner.....Starter Motor...just changed out mine....how many k's....180k....yep.....same as mine lasted.....soooooo.....back of the RAA Truck to the workshop until Monday....will ask they check loose connections and wiring first.....then.....AGC for a flown in new starter.....bugger.....hired a car to get home and drive back down here to collect car when fixed.....geeeez.....checking my Insurance Policy to see if accom and car hire are covered....hope so....paying near 1.8k/yr for the Policy !!!

Old 1 Week Ago
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Well....that all turned to poo.....turns out Layback40 was correct when he diagnosed 'possible' Starter Motor issues in the first place.
Put a new Battery in...drove 400klm....did a dozen or so Starts....nec minut....same thing....everything except the starter engaging when attempting to start.
Checked Battery levels...both standing and under load....perfect.....RAA hooked up the 'device'....."you have the key on mate ???".....nope.....he rang his boss...coincidentally a 2013 Grand Cherokee Diesel owner.....Starter Motor...just changed out mine....how many k's....180k....yep.....same as mine lasted.....soooooo.....back of the RAA Truck to the workshop until Monday....will ask they check loose connections and wiring first.....then.....AGC for a flown in new starter.....bugger.....hired a car to get home and drive back down here to collect car when fixed.....geeeez.....checking my Insurance Policy to see if accom and car hire are covered....hope so....paying near 1.8k/yr for the Policy !!!
I had to scroll back to find out what I posted that was correct! Doesnt happen often!
Reason I knew was I had the same problem years ago. On my XJ diesel, it turns out the cog thing is the same as they had on a 3-bolt ford V8 falcon starter. I found that after getting one from overseas.
Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

Workshop put it on the hoist....wiring/connections all clean and secure....f#$@/r even started on the key when taken off the truck...no jump pack or jumper leads....soooo...no battery drain.....rang All Grand Cherokee and they put a new starter motor in an Express Post bag which will be in remote SA 2moz or day after.
HEADS UP for '11-'13 owners.....there are 2 Starter Motors listed for these buses.....your VIN is critical in ordering a Starter Motor...in particular the 2x by letters prior to the final 6x numbers.
Starter Motor was 'reasonably' priced at around $350.....there are cheaper on ebay and dearer at other outlets.....happy to have paid that from a reputable supplier.

Last edited by FARWEST; 1 Week Ago at 07:40 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply