The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion) - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2020
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo07 View Post
5100's for a F150 PN#33-186009. 16.5" compressed and 27" extended.

Where are you sourcing the SL from and how much roughly will it cost? Last year I was looking into it and it was going to cost around $4k AUD delivered, plus coils and shocks of my choice (cos I don't want a stock/soft riding but lifted Jeep), plus all the other bits and pieces that need changing by now (UCA's, LCA's etc).
Thanx Turismo, regarding those shocks in the superlift setup have you had any experience?

so far the superlift kit will set me back roughly $5200 landed, im going to buy the diff ratios to suit 295/70/18 tyres and maybe squeeze in JBA UCA.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 19-05-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
Thanx Turismo, regarding those shocks in the superlift setup have you had any experience?

so far the superlift kit will set me back roughly $5200 landed, im going to buy the diff ratios to suit 295/70/18 tyres and maybe squeeze in JBA UCA.
I personally don't have experience. But these are for the rear and guys run them on 4" lifts regardless of SL or not, the rear shock setup is the same, so shouldn't matter.

Wow, not cheap. Suppose its more expensive now given the AUD is low.

You going with 4.11s? V8 3.73 ratios would work well too if you bought diffs out of a wrecked v8 WH/XH.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119
Old 19-05-2020
SwampDigger

Quote:
I personally don't have experience. But these are for the rear and guys run them on 4" lifts regardless of SL or not, the rear shock setup is the same, so shouldn't matter.

Wow, not cheap. Suppose its more expensive now given the AUD is low.

You going with 4.11s? V8 3.73 ratios would work well too if you bought diffs out of a wrecked v8 WH/XH.
I found this;

They're about 1.5" too short for members who want to maximize articulation offroad. Part number 33-186009 is a much better option IMO.

Two other options for members who really want to get every possible inch of travel and step up to 5125s are:
33-104652 which is an 11" travel shock, 28" extended, with 255/70 valving
33-186559 which is an 11" travel shock, 28" extended, with 175/60 valving
EDIT: Adding 2" bump stop extensions and lowering the brake lines are recommended. Both cheap/easy.

regarding Diff ratios, I have the Hemi V8 I believe 4.11 is best, unless someone tells me otherwise, very hard to find info with real life experiences.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 19-05-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:

MRGC is a HEMI if I recall correctly so has 3.73 already.

For those that have the CRD with 3.55 ratios if you want to go 3.73 you have only a few options
1 Find someone with a "starscan" to change the ratio.
2 get a TCM from a wreaked US CRD as they were 3.73 in the states.
3 get a specialized tuned one sent from the US or UK.

I went with option 2 after several failed attempt's getting a custom tuned TCM. But to be fair there are more tuners doing nag1 transmissions now (like http://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/).
Old 20-05-2020
SwampDigger

In the shocks above can someone shed some light in regards to the valving, trying to decide on which shock to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 20-05-2020
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
MRGC is a HEMI if I recall correctly so has 3.73 already.

For those that have the CRD with 3.55 ratios if you want to go 3.73 you have only a few options
1 Find someone with a "starscan" to change the ratio.
2 get a TCM from a wreaked US CRD as they were 3.73 in the states.
3 get a specialized tuned one sent from the US or UK.

I went with option 2 after several failed attempt's getting a custom tuned TCM. But to be fair there are more tuners doing nag1 transmissions now (like http://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/).
Hey Clarky,

Am I understanding correctly that if diff ratios are changed in the CRD/NAG1 the trans needs to be programmed to suit??

Good to know about Sound German Automitive, they are not far from me!
Old 20-05-2020
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGC View Post
I found this;

They're about 1.5" too short for members who want to maximize articulation offroad. Part number 33-186009 is a much better option IMO.

Two other options for members who really want to get every possible inch of travel and step up to 5125s are:
33-104652 which is an 11" travel shock, 28" extended, with 255/70 valving
33-186559 which is an 11" travel shock, 28" extended, with 175/60 valving
EDIT: Adding 2" bump stop extensions and lowering the brake lines are recommended. Both cheap/easy.

regarding Diff ratios, I have the Hemi V8 I believe 4.11 is best, unless someone tells me otherwise, very hard to find info with real life experiences.
Ah you have a Hemi, I thought you had CRD. Yes as Clarky said Hemi's have 3.73 already, so 4.11 is your next option. With 34" tyre you might prefer a 4.56 especially if you are carrying weight, but I don't think anyone does 4.56 for them...

Interesting shock info you got there.

In my research I have come across the 33-104652 5125's, but they have different size eyelets (suited for Chevy K30 trucks). Need the bushings and sleeves pressed out and fit ones that will match our stock shock mounts and bolts.

I have researched the 33-186009 5100 that I gave you above and it has the same mounts so bolts in, fitted these to my brother's XH. And 80% of guys running 5100's on big lifts uses them with no issue.

Re the valving, that's great info. Only thing is, anyone know what the valving is in a 5100 to compare? I personally think 5100's tend to be on the soft side, but most US guys think their too stiff... Of the 5125's you posted, the 33-104652 is the stiffer of the 2 but not sure what that is compared to a normal 5100. Me personally I'd be inclined to go stiffer.

Last edited by Turismo07; 20-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply