What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views - Page 788 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

I put the hard top back and took the feet of my ProRack HD bars and attached them straight to the Q track on the roof, this has lowered the roof rack profile quite a bit, I then put my Yakima Mega Warrior basket on top.

I now plan to make a roof rack that will suit both tops using the Mega Warrior basket as the tray, I will fab it up with the hard top on but make it high enough to clear the soft top too. Plan is to mount of the tub mounts that the hard top bolts too and make it so that the Mega Warrior bolts to the hoops that go over the Jeep, im thinking of using a light bar braket for the front and attach the Mega Warrior to it.

I was really hanging out for Sharpwrx roof rack as they are fantastic but cant justify the money this year and I need a rack to go camping off road with my 2 door so figured Ill use what I have a go from there.

Red JKU, AEV Front & Rear Bar, AEV 2.5 XT Lift.
TJM Winch, Sharpwrax Super Spoiler.
Old 31-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdognz View Post
I put the hard top back and took the feet of my ProRack HD bars and attached them straight to the Q track on the roof, this has lowered the roof rack profile quite a bit, I then put my Yakima Mega Warrior basket on top.

I now plan to make a roof rack that will suit both tops using the Mega Warrior basket as the tray, I will fab it up with the hard top on but make it high enough to clear the soft top too. Plan is to mount of the tub mounts that the hard top bolts too and make it so that the Mega Warrior bolts to the hoops that go over the Jeep, im thinking of using a light bar braket for the front and attach the Mega Warrior to it.

I was really hanging out for Sharpwrx roof rack as they are fantastic but cant justify the money this year and I need a rack to go camping off road with my 2 door so figured Ill use what I have a go from there.

Nice Setup Hotdogzn

how does the bar attach to the roof on the freedom top sections, is there a separate rail for them or do you bolt on the rail accross both sections after the roof is on?

Any idea what load the hardtop can handle?

Paul
Old 31-05-2013
Full Flexer

Hi Paul

This is what is on top of the roof, Yakima Q Track (I work for them)

The Freedom panels have a short track with 1 bogie on them and the rear has a longer track with 2 bogies on them, you can either put your rack 1 on the front 1 on the rear or both on the rear.

The Jeep roof is rated to 30kg but will hold more, I have seen a Jeep with this setup on carry 6 SUPS (Stand Up Paddle Boards) and he does regular trips to Double Island, also I have seen other Jeeps carry around 70-80kg but it will stress the roof if stuff moves around. I use this set up to carry the longer lighter camping gear items like roll up mattress and tent and a couple of light bags. I also carry my Longboard on the roof bars with it tied off to the front to stop lift.

Old 31-05-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

[quote=Hotdognz;1386199]I put the hard top back and took the feet of my ProRack HD bars and attached them straight to the Q track on the roof, this has lowered the roof rack profile quite a bit, I then put my Yakima Mega Warrior basket on top.

[URL=http://s660.photobucket.com/user/Hotdognz/media/Jeep%20Upgrade/P1060281_zpsc6d8da50.jpg.html[/quote]

Awesome set up HD!! Can I ask how much the complete set up would have cost and would you mind giving a price break down?

Old 31-05-2013
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by task82 View Post
Awesome set up HD!! Can I ask how much the complete set up would have cost and would you mind giving a price break down?

This is my set up and RRP on all bits used

$495 Yakima Mega Warrior
$179 Yakima Mega Warriors 22" extension kit (fits the full length of the roof on the SWB)
$300 Prorack/Whispbar HD T16
$86 Yakima/Prorack Q track (1400mm for SWB)
$50 K450 fitting kit for HD racks

A few small $$ for nuts and bolts as this was a custom fit of the Q track.

Old 31-05-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdognz View Post
This is my set up and RRP on all bits used

$495 Yakima Mega Warrior
$179 Yakima Mega Warriors 22" extension kit (fits the full length of the roof on the SWB)
$300 Prorack/Whispbar HD T16
$86 Yakima/Prorack Q track (1400mm for SWB)
$50 K450 fitting kit for HD racks

A few small $$ for nuts and bolts as this was a custom fit of the Q track.
Thanks for that HD. I really like this set up as it is a relatively cheap option to carry up to 30kg's (or more if you like to gamble) of weight on the roof.
Old 31-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by task82 View Post
Thanks for that HD. I really like this set up as it is a relatively cheap option to carry up to 30kg's (or more if you like to gamble) of weight on the roof.
I'll Second that !
thanks for posting up the additional Pics