URGENT! WH Transfer Case - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-01-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts
Default URGENT! WH Transfer Case

Hi folks,

I was just about to drain and replace the oil in the transfer case and stopped and wanted to confirm with you.

I know there's 2 different oils that can be used on the transfer cases, the ATF+4 and the Mopar Transfer Case Fluid.

Now my Jeep is a WH with a HEMI so it should have the NVG245 transfer case. I checked the nameplate on it and it says 245J, which confirms it. So I started undoing the hex bolts, top one first and loosened the bottom one, all sweet.

Then while undoing the top one first so I could check the level inside, ATF+4 fluid started gushing out. It was red in colour and the dedicated transfer case fluid is clear or oil colour. Now, I have 2 issues:

1. Shouldn't the level be at the filler hole (and mind you, the car is slightly leaning forward, not at all backwards)?
2. Shouldn't have it been the Transfer Case fluid for NVG245's?

Please confirm these.

Looks like the mechanic, a while back, stuffed up this one too. As I started getting more free time on my hands, the car hasn't seen a mechanic for over a year now (except for pink slip).

Perhaps, it's the transfer case causing the whine. We'll see. It could also be a front shaft...

Please confirm these ASAP, I'm not feeling really confident in myself now. Thoughts going through my mind. I see the transfer case is connected to the transmission so could they share the same oil and have the levels checked via the transmission dipstick as I can't see how can someone overfill the transfer case unless the car is nose down or via the transmission dipstick.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x

Last edited by briteway; 20-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 20-01-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From WK Jeeps mate:

NV245
Quadra-Trac II and
Quadra-Drive II

3.8 pts. (60.8 oz./1.9 qts.) Transfer Case Fluid
Mopar NV245/247/249 (p/n 05016796AC MSRP $11.95)

(Usage of other fluids/lubricants is not recommended)

Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft. lbs/20-34 N·m
30,000 mi.
36 mo. 30,000 mi.

There's also a clip on Youtube showing how to do it. Just do a search. Doesn't look like genuine fluid will be too expensive.

Last edited by pmac; 20-01-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 20-01-2012
MudSplasher

Just changed it half an hour ago.

Used up 2 quarts (WK Jeep states 1.9) that I bought ($47 per quart) and still didn't reach the filler hole, well it didn't start coming out yet. Should I spend another $50 and get another one (only to find out that it's full when I start pouring in)? LOL.

That ATF+4 fluid was gushing out the filler bolt when I undid that one first. I realised why it was used... much cheaper LOL.

Last edited by briteway; 20-01-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 20-01-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

Mobil 424 trans oil is okay, many of us use it. Only about $8/LT. If you think it may have had the wrong oil in it, I would give it a run then change it again to flush the stuff out, if not give it a run then check the level again.
You will find the Mobil 424 at Agri places or Mobil distributor as its a tractor oil.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-01-2012
MudSplasher

It definitely had the ATF+4 in it, the smell, colour, feel (sting), etc.

$8/L is much much better than $47/qt, should've filled that in first and flushed it with TC Fluid. Anyway, I think I'll leave it like this until the next change. I'll see how the car performs when I get to cruise on the freeway.

Old 21-01-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,334 Posts

Sounds like a plan. I was quoted $54/LT from my local dealer. Give it a bit of a run then check it again and see if fluid flows out of the fill plug, I haven't heard of it with Jeeps but my old old Cruiser did the seal between gear box and TC, don't even know if lt,s possible on a Grand.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 21-01-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wouldn't risk anything but original. For the sake of $100 every 50,000 kms, it's not worth the risk of blowing up a $2000 T/C.

WK Jeeps says it's OK to put ATF4 in Quatra Trac 1 (NV140) T/C's, but not in QDII T/C's.

Also, genuine oil for the NV140 in the US is $29.76. For the NT146 (SRT8 ) it's $52, whilst the NV245 (what we are talking about) is cheap at $11.95. Scary that OZ dealers mark it up to $47. Imagine genuine price in OZ if you had a SRT8??