wj rear rattle - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default rear shock rattles

i cant say the same thought about the OME shocks has not crossed my mind. What was the difference in the shock mounts?
Old 12-07-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Snowg has already alluded to the bolt thing. There was a write up from one of the US Jeep forums that was posted here ages ago about it. The main problem is the factory bolt is stepped down or wasted a short distance from the head so is not a true 12mm.
The written solution is to replace it with an aftermarket M12 x 70 (from memory) bolt which gives you sufficient length of 12mm shank under the head to give you a proper 12mm shaft to fit in the shock sleeve. The documented fix is to do that as well as the oversize washers.

I also noticed on mine that the top mount holes were a tiny bit sloppy so I got a couple of thick oversized washers with a nice tight hole and welded them to the outer side of the mount.

For the record I've got the OME shocks and they did still have some slop on the factory bolts.
Old 15-07-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Angry rear shock rattle

I think I'm going to try the welded thick washer on the outside they are Ironman shocks. I had it at the Jeep Dealership for a recall on the AirBag Recall M35, and asked them to check out the rattle as well as a new Keyless Transmitter remote. When I went to pick up the car after $397.10 for one keyless remote... was not charged for the recall because they didn't have the parts available, they said that Jeep would contact me when they were, and also said 'inspected all rear suspension, noise is suspected to be an internal failure from rear shocks, not from mounts' even after I had advised them that the shocks had been replaced 3 weeks ago :. I will repost after I weld the washers on and let you know the outcome...thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Yes I've tried the bolt thing as well, 20mm Socket on M12s.... I'm now taking it to Pedders who have bent over backwards to help me with another issue in the past. I will see how they go on Thursday and re-post. I also permanently barred the Dealership after being burnt on 2 occasions and learnt my lesson, the only reason why I took it there was because of the M35 recall, I was pretty annoyed when I explained to them 3 weeks ago why the car was going in, only to be told yesterday that they didn't have the parts....Just another nail in the coffin for the dealership in my mind.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

OK so I take it to the local Pedders, who have been more than helpful. They put a pair of trakryder shocks on and it works perfectly, rattle gone!! I am now bewildered as to if the shocks that were 'replaced' under warranty by the previous mob. It is now a pleasure to drive once again....one problem solved. $400

While it was there I forgot to ask them to check out the noise at the front of the vehicle as well. They identified this when they took it for a spin anyway, I had a feeling the engine mounts were on there way out from a noise when putting the car into gear and they were...I had the hood open while he put the car in forward and reverse (another problem nearly solved) and the engine moved quite a bit clunking in the mounts on both sides. He called Jeep who were charging $400 each for the LHS and RHS, but said that if I looked around I could find after market parts for a more reasonable price. I found both the parts in Sydney to be delivered next week for a total of $210 saving of $600 already.

Next problem, Pedders then actually spent the time to put the car back on the hoist, let me look under the car, put the car in Reverse and Forward and low and behold the front lower control arms which I had asked the previous mechanic to look at were shot.(seeing I had replaced every component in the rear suspension I assumed the front should have gone as well, and seeing the previous mechanic was a one man show he may have had trouble doing this) You could see the front drive shaft moving about 100mm up and down as the bushings in the control arms were shot allowing the front axle to rotate excessively ...I have been wondering what the whining sound has been in the car recently, I think it was the pressure on the uni's and gearbox...by the end of next week I am hoping all my problems are solved.

Lesson learned......I know where I will be taking my vehicle from now on. The guys at Pedders have been more than helpful. Another update next week.....

Last edited by pantsman; 18-07-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 15-07-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsman View Post
I think I'm going to try the welded thick washer on the outside they are Ironman shocks. I had it at the Jeep Dealership for a recall on the AirBag Recall M35, and asked them to check out the rattle as well as a new Keyless Transmitter remote. When I went to pick up the car after $397.10 for one keyless remote... was not charged for the recall because they didn't have the parts available, they said that Jeep would contact me when they were, and also said 'inspected all rear suspension, noise is suspected to be an internal failure from rear shocks, not from mounts' even after I had advised them that the shocks had been replaced 3 weeks ago :. I will repost after I weld the washers on and let you know the outcome...thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Have you replaced the bolts??????
Old 15-07-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default wj rear rattle

You took it to a dealer, well there's ya problem right there.
Post New Thread  Reply