Improving fuel consumption - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-07-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'll be honest that does seem a little bizzare!

my V8 4.7 WG - get's around 13-14L in town... and aroune 10-11L on the highway -pics to back up on the weekend when i get the car back

but even for a V6 engine that does seem outrageous, many of my mates have V6's in different rigs and the max they top out at is around 14L in town with rather heavy rigth hoofs, the worst was 18L in town in a Toyota Rav4 - turned out the air filter was basically TAR. and the fuel filter was CLOGGED.... but even so. for a Jeep i honestly would have been expecting better speically with ours being the V8 and getting better figures that yourself. that's just not right!!!
Old 22-07-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

The question is which town??? LOL. Melbourne is unlike Port Macquarie that's for sure. You could get very differing figures in different circumstances, e.g. these are my figures on a HEMI:

- Sydney peak crawling traffic 25-28 L
- heavy traffic 20-23 L
- moderate to heavy (plenty of cars but moving) 18-20 L
- around town no traffic 15-17 L
- 200km road trip 13-14 L
- over 200km 12-13 L
- the best ever I got to Brissy was 11.8 L

All the figures were in e10 and checked at the pump. So as you can see, it can vary a lot in different situations.

Just like someone else already said, try driving only as per what the car needs. my wife can never beat those figures (except the first 3, there's nothing you can do) and she thinks she drives economically but when I sit with her, I think she's the real revhead in the house. For example, I watch how the traffic moves, lights change, etc. She'll still have her foot on the gas even if the red light 200 m ahead is visible and then brake harder nearing the queue. I'd scan the situation, whether approaching lights, roundabouts, downhills, speed humps, etc etc and back off way before i get there, so not causing traffic but just rolling and very slowly decelerating. Same thing climbing hills, I might go a little faster (10 kph) before the hill and maintain the speed and then back off just before the flat surface again to decelerate to the speed limit. I've even realised that if i accelerate off the lights too slow, the economy is worse but at the same time, if I punch it, it ain't good either. I found a right "spot" and its a bit faster than normally but unlike a hoon. These are the things you gotta experiment yourself and find that right spot.

Also, while you're driving check how the steering wheel works, if it needs wheel alignment. Also the tyre pressures. I found on my AT's the best fuel economy vs tyre wear vs comfort ratio is around 36 and 37 PSI.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 22-07-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You seem to have a heavy foot or use the sports mode. Mine was around those figures when I first got it - now the car has aged on me and I'm getting around the 11.5L/100, "according" to the trip meter.

Also is e10 compatible with the v6 pentastar?, I noticed e10 is cheaper than ron91, does that mean it is a crappier refined fuel?

Last edited by imaz; 22-07-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 22-07-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Really depends on your version of around town I am in brisbane western suburbs & it is all up hill & down dale where ever we go & wife usually only does 5-6k runs to & from things we are averaging about 14.5 around short trips . We did a run to bundaburg & back & some forestry trails on the way home with 4 people fridge & luggage & about 30K`s of stop start highway traffic & averaged 9.5L per hundred over 850 km`s for the trip.
Should note we have a new WK V6 Petrol , Only ever dreamed of fuel consumption like this when we had V8 WG

Last edited by paul mac; 22-07-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added car
Old 24-07-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
I get around 12.9-13 & 9.2 on a trip, wife runs at around 14.7. I used the economy setting to get a feel for things & just cruise, the mrs just punches it and gets shirty if i point out it's not needed. just practice with the foot weight..
Don't they all drive like that and passenger seat drive as well
Old 25-07-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Improving fuel consumption

It will also depend on which town you are in. Sydney consumption will be heavier than others due to significantly higher levels of traffic.

Correy
Donate Blood 13 14 95
www.donateblood.com.au
Old 25-07-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default Improving fuel consumption

On my WJ V8 I use to get 13-14L per 100km, I know run 7 piggy backed Hiclones on my throttle body, and it actually produces petrol now....?!
Post New Thread  Reply