Wrangler full of rain.... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Leaving the roof off in the rain is hardly Jeep's fault....I'd claim on insurance.
Jeep claim it to be water resistant interior it's a convertible FFS
Old 28-12-2015
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

FCA prolly monitors this site, so good luck with the warranty claims.

I don't think a covertible is meant to be driven or left open in the rain. The joy of a convertible is the ability to enjoy the vehicle in good weather. Not a submarine either

Car makers of all makes have been producing convertibles since whenever, somehow I don't think they wouldn't have had this tried on them before, especially Jeep.

To allege Jeep's warranty is a fraud that can be nullified or justified with another is just silly.

Good to see Aleckon taking the responsibilty of rectifying the challenge.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 28-12-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 28-12-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Only if they ever found out.

I think Rossco has hit the nail on the head. It sounds like the steering column has copped a gut full of water and shorted out the clock spring.
Yeah, I've seen it 5 times - Usually one of the give aways is the wipers come on & stay on (3 out of 5 times).

Most sparkies go looking at the TIPM module in the fuse box, throwing a new TIPM in never fixes it.
Tom Woods props
Bestop bars
Desert Hawk 33's

Old 28-12-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
Jeep claim it to be water resistant interior it's a convertible FFS
Toyota claims the Hilux is 'Unbreakable'........Good luck with that :P
Tom Woods props
Bestop bars
Desert Hawk 33's

Old 28-12-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Good that it still drive.
It's sounds like it's not that bad yet. You might be spot on for the water part. The sunshade might just hold enough water to soak everything in one go.

Agree that 731 in manual is so different. I want to replace mine but it's not dead yet, so nothing I can do about it. I like the Alpine one thou if got a chance to upgrade.

As for clockspring, it's the same for LHD and RHD, part no is 5156106AE for MY15. 5156106AD can be used as well which is the part number for MY14. They're just the same thing.

Build thread : JKU Angry Copper Build
Old 29-12-2015
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks Snowing. I'll give it a couple of weeks first then order the part. Hmm Alpine looks good...and on special at JB. I do like the sound my system has - Alpine speaker setup. Might give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-12-2015
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

If it is the clockspring, it is most likely to be water in the connectors shorting the pins.

As someone with 20y fixing electronics, the first thing I'd do is pull it out & rinse the plugs & sockets with metho, (rinses out the water and then dries easily), blow them out & then reassemble & test again before buying anything. A quick search will being up a couple of threads with writeups on how to do it.

Moisture can short some electronics, but as long as it is dried before they become corroded they will be ok, unless it causes high voltages or currents to go where they shouldn't. Where I worked, we would wash circuit boards in soapy water to clean the crud off them, then rinse in clean water & then isopropyl alcohol. Metho is a reasonable replacement for iso, and if you want to be really certain, then what we did was stick the circuits in an oven for 30 minutes at 70C afterwards. I wouldn't recommend that for the clockspring though, as I don't know how the plastic & internal mechanical plastic parts would take it. They should handle it ok, but...