Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 91 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
If the WH GC ticks all your boxes, then go for it.
This N23 debacle doesn't warrant giving-up on the car in my opinion.
Most of the frustration the guys here have is really due to having an existing car suddenly useless (as a 4wd.), and ending up out of pocket/time as a result.

You know in advance, so you can just put the fix as a condition of sale and factor any costs/hassle into the equation.

All this stuff isn't at-all indicative of the model, or Chrysler.
Sure most dealers are crap, but that's nothing new.

It's still a great vehicle.

PS; I think most people who get on here with a QTII eventually end-up wishing they'd got the QDII. QT is still great, but dont rule-out a QD if you can find one for similar money. Even doing mild 4wding/touring, you're bound to come across the odd hiccup (exiting river crossing, road damage etc.). The "locking" diffs make stuff like that just so much smoother, less stress on the drivetrain, brakes etc. Driving on slick mud or ice especially is where QT with traction control can't compare, TC is constantly taking power away from you while the QD keeps all the wheels moving and let's you drive properly.
Totally agree with James' comments - especially on the QDII vs QTII. Not that you wouldn't be happy with either, but why wouldn't you want the best standard 4WD system on the market?

By the way on that note, keep in mind that QDII is a rare find on the 2008 onwards update WH's unless the original owner opted for it - especially on a Laredo.

I was looking pretty hard for a while at WH's and to be honest I couldn't see much of an upgrade going from a pre-2008 to the facelift model, with the exception of dual-zone climate control on the Laredo and MyGig system on the Limited. Once I factored in the loss of QDII, the pre facelift was looking like a much more attractive option, especially at a cheaper price. Then I picked up a MyGig head unit on here for a steal and I was no longer interested in the facelift model.

I was also not that fussed on the Commander until I took a couple for a test drive. They are effectively the same car as the WH with a different body shape and they have quite a bit more space. Most (all?) come with QDII as well. Might be worth taking one for a test drive unless it's the looks you don't like? I was surprised, but my wife actually loves the look! (provided it has a lift)

I will end up with one of either of these Jeeps for my next drive as I just can't see any other reasonable alternatives that come close to the same value for money.
Old 29-09-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko82 View Post
I rang Albion Jeep this morning. It appears from the VIN and the Chrysler Records that this WH has't been in to have the flash done yet. The guy I talked to said that if it has this problem, and hasn't had the flash yet, then it could be related to something else?!

If I am going to go ahead with this one, it will be after it has been in to have it repaired and working with the flash done aswell.

Another thing the guys at Albion said is that there is a new Flash which means they don't have to replace the Actuator any more?...Any on have news/ideas on that?
Personally I wouldn't have the N23 flash done..The initial problem it was supposed to address was inadvertent jump into neutral on start up and possible roll away resulting in injury..Well since we don't have remote start in Australia and you need to be sitting in the vehicle with your foot on the brake to start, one would wonder why the N23 recall was applicable here....Your problem would most likely be a wheel speed sensor if it hasn't had the N23 flash already done..I'd get thie sensors checked first..I think Multihull has previously posted on this thread about similar happening to him and fixed by replacing a faulty sensor..Up to you of course. Hopefully Multihull is still subscribed to this thread and would like to comment.

PS...The mate I mentioned previously had a new actuator fitted just before we hit Big Red and, on the way over, on came the "Service 4WD System" message so high range for the rest of the trip with ESP acting against traction control..Real bummer but as I've mentioned, he's now had the N23 latest fix and appears to have worked..Well so far anyway...I'll be talking to him again in a week or so and be interesting to see if he's still happy with it.....He was saying out in the desert that he's finished with Jeeps and going Toyota...Think FC has lost another as a result of the N23 debacle fixed or not

Last edited by Wanderer; 30-09-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 29-09-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko82 View Post
I rang Albion Jeep this morning. It appears from the VIN and the Chrysler Records that this WH has't been in to have the flash done yet. The guy I talked to said that if it has this problem, and hasn't had the flash yet, then it could be related to something else?!

If I am going to go ahead with this one, it will be after it has been in to have it repaired and working with the flash done as well
Whoever preformed the flash may have forgot to do the paperwork & register it with C/F or I wouldn't put it past someone to have swapped out the FDCM for a flashed N23 one before it was traded/sold or even swapped out on a test drive .

I won't lie & say the thought never crossed my mind when mine was playing up (I have the recept for my replacement FDCM & I can prove ownership)

If the FDCM had not been flashed it would have gone into low but the "Service" message would have stayed on the dash.

Quote:
Another thing the guys at Albion said is that there is a new Flash which means they don't have to replace the Actuator any more?...Any on have news/ideas on that?
If the Actuator is not faulty then the flash will bring back 4Low but if it is faulty it will disable 4Low as it is supposed to do, either way insist it all works before you hand over the dollars.
Old 29-09-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for the help. Going to give that one a miss - Have found another one that looks like it might be better, and apparently it hasn't had the flash yet, and 4Lo still works...
The TJ I owned uncovered (different) issues as soon as I got it home...and I used the 3months of Stat Warranty constantly taking it back and forth to the dealer and arguing with them...so really don't want to repeat that again.
Old 30-09-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Then I picked up a MyGig head unit on here for a steal and I was no longer interested in the facelift model.
2005 to 2007 have a low speed bus system for the radio, 2008 & higher have a high speed bus.
It's not just a plug & play swap out, you may need a "can bus adapter" to get it to work.
Old 30-09-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
2005 to 2007 have a low speed bus system for the radio, 2008 & higher have a high speed bus.
It's not just a plug & play swap out, you may need a "can bus adapter" to get it to work.
Not when I already have the low-speed canbus model MyGig unit!!
Old 30-09-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

So out of everyone who has had their WH (or XH) re-flashed with the latest TSB, are you guys having success??

Im enquiring with a bloke at the moment who has a 2010 WH wreck that may or may not have been flashed yet - but I'm also hearing some guys having success with this TSB.

Just looking to get a feel for where everyone is at so I can help my mate out with his WH.

Post New Thread  Reply