Torque App for Android and iPhone - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim.beveridge View Post
I was thinking of getting a couple of proper gauges for my CRD, maybe I'll check out this option then I'll have ALL the available gauges.

What is the app called again, I could not find it on the Apple App store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asp_777 View Post
did you say there was a iphone version?? where is it?
Oh, sorry. I'm more of an Android fan as it's "unrestricted" and even the same apps are a bit cheaper.

iPhone does not have the same Torque app (by name) as Android but has another one that does the same stuff. It's called DashCommand and is available for both Android and iPhone - but at a rip off price ($30 for Android and $50 for iPhone). Here are the links:

Android DashCommand: https://market.android.com/details?i...hCommand&hl=en

iPhone DashCommand: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashc...321293183?mt=8

The iPhone version costs more and it needs a wifi OBD2 dongle instead of BT due to the earlier mentioned restrictions. So in the end, it'll cost more, probably not so worth it.

Good luck guys. I hope you upgrade your phone to Android next time when renewing contract . iPhone is just overpriced.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 14-02-2012
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
I am running the Samsung Omnia7 running Windows Mobile 7. These have gone like apple in that you can now only access the phone via Zune software for music and videos, no file access... Can only install apps via the Microsoft Marketplace - if not approved by Microsoft then not available - no OBD software I can find yet.

I did have it unlocked, but the Mango update (7.5) stuffed that up and locked it down tighter than a drum. The only way to unlock them now is to backdate the phone to pre-mango, install an unlocking program then reinstall mango. Not as simple as it sounds though and unfortunatley only discovered after Mango was released!!
Oh, I see. I thought it was WM6.5 but it's the new WP7 OS. Yeah, I used to use the good ole WM before these iPhone and Android OS's came out and since Microsoft never went ahead to improve on WM (as it had literally everything but heaps buggy) and chose to go down the lines of Apple and invent the "restricted" WP7 OS. I wish your contract will end soon or sell it and buy an Android phone. After WM died, I wasn't keen on iPhone either due to the restrictions so I chose Android due to it's open platform and it's great.

Old 14-02-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Hey Briteway - thanks for the info!

I was a WinMo User on a Samsung Omnia 2 running 6.5 and I agree with your sentiments – could do most things but the software was as buggy as hell...

Upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 in December running Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) and I must say I’m absolutely loving it!! The possibilities with an Android device these days are endless. I’ll definitely be getting one of those OB2 dongles and downloading the Torque application thanks to your review.

One question: Does running the Torque app through the dongle provide the same features and functionality of say the “Scangauge” product? i.e. you can read all of your sensor data in real time, plus read and clear fault codes etc?

If it can do all of this, then I’d be crazy not to spend $20 odd dollars on the product and trialling the free version of Torque. Do you recommend any of these dongles from eBay in particular?
Old 14-02-2012
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 in December running Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) and I must say I’m absolutely loving it!! The possibilities with an Android device these days are endless. I’ll definitely be getting one of those OB2 dongles and downloading the Torque application thanks to your review.
Good choice. I think all Jeepers should run Android LOOOL!!! I'm only saying this 'cause I'm a bit of a phone geek myself. I like to pull the phone apart in the finest details physically, put it back together and then root it and see what is in all those registries and tinker with settings, LOL. Got this habit from WM phones.

Quote:
One question: Does running the Torque app through the dongle provide the same features and functionality of say the “Scangauge” product? i.e. you can read all of your sensor data in real time, plus read and clear fault codes etc?
Yep and yep. That's why I'm wrapped with it.

Quote:
If it can do all of this, then I’d be crazy not to spend $20 odd dollars on the product and trialling the free version of Torque. Do you recommend any of these dongles from eBay in particular?
It will be surely $20 well spent, LOL. My recommendation is in the first post, that blue dongle and there's a link provided or type the bolded part in your eBay search and should come up.

HAHAHA, I just used it now again but we had some real cool weather this summer so couldn't test "real" differences in values in hot and cold

Last edited by briteway; 14-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 15-02-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mine arrived yesterday! running the windows rubbish software I find I have a P2098 error (was causing the MIL light to be on a few weeks ago).

So what is a P2098 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2 fault? Done a quick google and cant find anything concrete!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 15-02-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
Good choice. I think all Jeepers should run Android LOOOL!!! I'm only saying this 'cause I'm a bit of a phone geek myself. I like to pull the phone apart in the finest details physically, put it back together and then root it and see what is in all those registries and tinker with settings, LOL. Got this habit from WM phones.
Mate - I know this isn't a Jeep question - but hay, if we have the skills on here, let's use them. I have an iPhone and absolutely love it. It's my second. A mate had some samsung thing and when you scrolled it went the opposite way to the iPhone. Very annoying. Also, the touch screen only worked if you pressed it a certain way. But from what I am hearing, I gather they are catching up to the quality of the iPhones. By quality, I mean the way they work smoothly and seemlessly and just make sense, like the Apple products.

But my question is this. If I change to an android, is there any way of bringing my iPhone texts that I already have over to the new phone? What about my contacts? What about music and pictures? I know if I lose my iPhone or it get's destroyed somehow, if I have synced it, my new phone will have all the same stuff on it so I don't have to start again.

I know I will obviously lose apps, but the other stuff (contacts, texts, pics, music) are important to me so I'm concerned I am now hooked to iPhones for life?
Old 15-02-2012
MudSplasher

First time to hear that about scrolling, maybe an odd case. I have an almost 3 year old HD2, has a 1GHz processor (back then) with a 4.3" screen. Two of them and still strong performers. Will be upgrading soon, looking at the 4G device but I'll have to do a lot of research before I upgrade.

I have 3 mates who have been iPhone fans and all of them switched to Android and said "I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, felt like I was imprisoned and now I'm free" LOL. They would never look back. You're also missing the cool feature of Android widgets, which iPhone lacks.

In terms of sync, you can get everything across. The only thing I'm not sure about are the SMS's, try a Google search, there has to be a way I guess.

I think this was off the topic a bit but I hope it answers your questions.

Post New Thread  Reply