XJ Headliner replacement - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Default XJ Headliner replacement

So its time to replace the headliner in the xj. Have seen many good posts to follow and links as this one to do the job

http://www.4x4xplor.com/headliner.html

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation on where to buy the headliner from? Ebay has a few products but not too sure on colour match like this one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32455952...MAAOSwv7xftjER

seems there are more suppliers in US that show up but im sure there's someone where more local

http://headlinerdoctor.com/headliner...jeep-cherokee/

Has anyone replaced their headliner fabric recently and can provide a link/supplier to contact? Im based in Vic if that helps
Old 03-05-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Dont know where in Vic your are, but there is a Nationwide auto upholstery chain, used to be called Nolan O'Rourke, may have had a name change

I got mine from them, but if no local supplier handy, the ebay foam backed stuff works ok

I did my own, cost about $140 for glue and fabric, Ive done a few before, its a fair mongrel of a job, and if quoted $400 or less by an upholster, I would consider letting them do it, if time and quality is an issue
Old 03-05-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Never really thought about it. I’ve had headliners reupholstered in quite a few cars over the years. I normally shop around, check online reviews and go to the one with the best balance between quality reviews and cost. I do a heap of DIY but being found unconscious in my car from that glue is not one of them !
Old 03-05-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

i have only one thing to add, make sure what ever you buy is UV stabilised.

ive done this job and its not fun, i bought the foam backed fabric from a place on the gold coast ( who no longer exists)

and the removal of the fiber hood lining is ok, getting the old foam off is not.

once that's done i used spray glue on both the fiber board and the fabric, that's no big deal.
HOWEVER the loosely described fibre board is easily damaged .

now after 10 years my hood lining has faded ( ok its sand coloured, other colours may fair better)

doing the roof consul is really easy in comparison

hope that helps some
Old 03-05-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

the 99 got a new headliner about 4 years ago the then local upholster had the fabric in stock and I think he only charged about $300?
Old 03-05-2021
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

i took a cheap approach.
Cleaned the old foam off the roof with it in place.
Spray painted with flat white paint and then a coat of granite finish paint from Spotlight. looks ok and i damaged can just touch up with the granite finish stuff.
Cleaning the old foam off was a pain. Used a paint scraper and then a wire brush.
At least with my fix it will never sag again.
Old 03-05-2021
Established Member

Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
i took a cheap approach.
Cleaned the old foam off the roof with it in place.
Spray painted with flat white paint and then a coat of granite finish paint from Spotlight. looks ok and i damaged can just touch up with the granite finish stuff.
Cleaning the old foam off was a pain. Used a paint scraper and then a wire brush.
At least with my fix it will never sag again.
This is what I'll be doing soon. I had my headliner redone around 2012 and that only cost $250, but I've got saggy bits juuuust starting to show. The guy did a great job but my heep lives outside 24/7 so nearly a decade is doing well... I looked at what some other folk did online, and I'm 99% sure mine is the fiberglass sandwich version so it should look really nice once it's stripped and painted. I was going to go black, but then the rest of the trim is grey and I'm not wasting my time trying to colour change that! Trim paint never lasts, so darkish grey headliner it is.

I actually found my headliner guy on facebook last week, sent him a message about doing the headliners on a couple of our cars and he still quoted me at $250. Now that's a good deal for almost a decade later!!
Post New Thread  Reply