Throw out bearings... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-07-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 51 Times in 47 Posts

How many miles / KM's have you got on the clutch ?

Has it had a hard life
Old 30-07-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Not that hard, at least, not over the last 85,000km that I have owned it.

I suspect the seized TOB has worn, or worn the 'fingers' on the pressure plate assembly, & now pedal to the floor cannot push it far enough down to fully release the spring pressure from the clutchplate.
Old 11-08-2017
SwampDigger

And the pilot bearing finally arrived today!

Booked in to be done on Tuesday.
Old 12-08-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 47 Posts

So in total how many KM has this clutch done then ?
If youve done 85K on it since you bought it .....

Got 134,000 KM on mine and currently appears all good fingers crossed so just wondering my future expenses

Last edited by RLT; 12-08-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
So in total how many KM has this clutch done then ?
If youve done 85K on it since you bought it .....

Got 134,000 KM on mine and currently appears all good fingers crossed so just wondering my future expenses
OP said 155,000 in his first post...you got 21,000 to go

But...in the case of clutches...your mileage will vary due a few major factors

Someone said the stealership shimmed the TOB fork, which wouldn't seem logical.
That would either:
Just force the slave piston further into it's cylinder (unlikely because it probably goes full hard in to begin with, from the return spring on the throwout arm) from the diaphragm force when clutch is released. Changing nothing at all beside piston rest posi in cylinder.
Remove freeplay between the TOB and fork (not good).
Or, recallibrate clutch disengagement to happen earlier in the pedal push, which does sweet FA also.
It wouldn't put the bearing under more force pressure, but if freeplay was removed (which would be really counterproductive) it would be under light pressure a zillion times longer.
The pressure on the bearing face lessons expotentially as you push the fingers further beyond their sweet spot angle, that's what you feel in the pedal.
Old 12-08-2017
SwampDigger

Yes, 155,000. I don't know what the original owner was like with it for the first 70,000, so you may get more (or less) than I did...
Old 17-08-2017
SwampDigger

Aaaaand, I've got it back! Total charge from the mechanic was just over $900 including gearbox oil & transfer case fluid change. Parts were ~$650 from the US, so under $1600 all up. To be honest, I was expecting a lot more in labour costs.

First impression... WTF happened to the clutch! It is so light compared to before! It took them a day longer than expected because they couldn't get the exhaust system out. The red mud that has been on it since before I got it has welded the exhaust header bolts. Overnight soak & they still couldn't loosen them. Looks like it'll be a day or 2 job for ATF/acetone to penetrate & loosen, when I get the chance.

TOB was toast, as was the pressure plate. The plate itself was not too bad, but the 'fingers' were completely stuffed by the seized TOB. The clutch plate itself still had over 1mm of material on each side. They machned the flywheel. They decided to replace the slave cylinder as they thought it felt like it was seized when they pulled it out.

And for the pics of the parts that came out.

Clutch plate

TOB

Pressure plate

The pressure plate really shows why you shouldn't drive with a seized TOB unless you are replacing the lot! You can see the heat damage from when the flange on the TOB & the worn down & bent fingers finally failed & it was not completely releasing.

It seems to have a lot of freeplay at the moment, they said drive it for a few days & if it feels wrong come back & they'll adjust it as well as they can. It sort of feels like there might be air in the line, but I'll give it a few days first & see how it goes.

edit: I just realised that Inever got around to including the pics of the new bits! This is what the remains above were replaced with:

Clutchplate, TOB & pilot bearing. (and the long black bit is the clutchplate alignment tool). New slave cylinder is in the white box.

New Centerforce pressure plate. They asked where I bought them as they said the plate itself is an original Sachs component.

Last edited by Banshee; 17-08-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply