About to buy a jeep wrangler but which one - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default About to buy a jeep wrangler but which one

Hello forum friends,

I am about to purchase 1 2008 JK Wrangler 2 door 165k's on clock manual 3.8v6 and hearing about oil burning and consumption on 3.8 V6, issues with fuel economy I decided to reach out to my forum friends.

What should I consider being mindful of budget.

When buying a Jeep with 165000k's what do I need to be mindful of between 3.6 V6, 3.8 v6 or 2.4TD preference is manual but am open to auto. Just not sure what I need to be concerned about with such high k's.

The model I am looking at has never been off road, In fact under carriage is immaculate and no rust. No knocking sounds but is a 3.8 V6 with 165,000 on the clock.

Or should I save a bit and go for 2012 v.6 V6 or 2012 diesel?
Old 11-03-2018
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts
Red face

Hi mate, I have a Grand Cherokee and also a 2008 JK Rubicon auto which has the 3.8Lt petrol.
The Rubicon comes with the larger diffs, electronic sway bar disconnect and locking front and rear diffs standard.
I was getting around 12.5 Lt per 100 Klm's on the standard tyres. Then I went to 33's, and now 35's. Fuel economy is up around 16 Lt per 100 Klm's now but doesn't worry me greatly, being my weekend toy.

From the knowledge I have gathered, the 3.8 Lt motor will go forever but there is not much you can do to increase power / torque. The diesels do have issues.

If I was using it as my daily driver, I would spend the extra money and go for a Rubicon auto with the updated 3.6 Lt petrol.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know more, as I did a fair bit of research before buying mine.

Cheers, Craig
Old 12-03-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

I'll move your post to the JK forum, don't think you will get a lot of help from GC owners on this question.
Old 12-03-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Benno
Old 12-03-2018
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I have a 3.8 and haven't had any unusual oil consumption. I have heard some people complain about it but it seems to be a very small minority.

The 3.8 is pretty much bullet proof and not much goes wrong with them. They are thirsty when pushed. I get around 14L/100kms fully loaded with camping gear doing 110kms. Towing my camper trailer will see that pushed up around 16 - 17 at the same speeds especially getting up hills.

I would recommend getting the 3.6 in auto if you can as the extra power does make a difference.

Depending on what kind of use you are wanting it for, I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a Rubicon unless you are doing the hardest tracks as they have a lower ratios to crawl slower as well as a stronger front diff. If you are just sand driving or fire trails then the extra money isn't worth it. Having said that though if you got one at the right price then don't pass it up.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 12-03-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

paullatin DBOR have not a bad blog about what JK to buy

http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/Bl...K-To-Buy-.aspx
Old 12-03-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you can afford it, the 3.6 (pentastar) is light years ahead of the 3.8.

I personally think the auto > manual for the pentastar. Better on and off the road. If you're not fanatical about having a manual (or just prefer manuals), the auto beats the manual in every way.

Don't get the 3.8 auto combination. its a sh*t combination. If you're going to go a 3.8 stay manual, the 42rle is not a great auto box.

I've had a 2012 auto JK, 2014 JKU auto and 2013 JK rubi auto.

I've always had my 2003 auto TJ. The auto in my tj 42RLE is the same that is mated to the 3.8. In the TJ it is just good enough, its not awesome. But the TJ is light and it does a okay job with the 4.0 (with some mods). I only mention this as with a bigger body (JKU) it would suck. it hunts around and its just not fun.

As for the diesel, I don't know much about it. I've _heard_ (take with grain of salt) the parts are expensive, and the USA doesn't get it so aftermarket parts are not as easy to get as the 3.8 and 3.6. I belive the manual in the diesel is de-tuned a touch as it cannot handle the power as well as the auto (which I believe is a better auto then the one in the 3.. All and all, i've heard the diesel is a solid engine. But others who actually own one will be able to school you better here.

Last edited by neomut; 12-03-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply