Vic - snow trip - McAdams Gap - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Organise a Trip in your state > Victoria
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-06-2009
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: None

just got this from mud rhino

"I just rang the Mansfield council and yes Mt Skene is closed to all vehicles.

#@^!@#$ing pricks"
Old 24-06-2009
Rock Munki

from OL

"Ok, where do we stand?? This in it self poses a great question...

I have spoken to Glen Patton at Heyfield police station, he said the Licola-Jamison rd is not officially closed, It has been signed but is not gated. They (Heyfield police) will not be enforcing this closure and it has been done to deter the morons that think they are driving a 4x4. He even said and I quote "If there are a few of you going, have fun". He did suggest I call Jamison police for thier opinion though, so I await there returned call.

Then I called the DSE in Heyfield and spoke to a lady called Kerrin, she said that the Licola -Jamison Rd was not officially closed however everything else around it inc Tamboritha rd are closed (but these are gated). It was also said that the L-J rd was the only way accross. But I should call the Mansfield shire council. So I did.

Mansfield Shire really have no idea, they said they have put a rd closure on their end of the J-L rd, however when I questioned them on who was enforcing this they said the Police. When I told her they have said they are not enforcing it they didn't know where to go. So now I wait for some bloke in engineering to call me and sort this out.

So, so far we have the 2 agencies that can enforce it saying they are not and a shire council saying 'But its closed'.

Good to see they are all on the same page.

Benno"

wtf. this is turning into a real shit fight. IMO its either open or its closed.
Old 24-06-2009
Rock Munki

from the same bloke
"Ok so I have heard back from some ass hat at engineering from the shire, the road is (this year) officially closed from Wrens track to the shire (Baw Baw) boundry.

He did however say that the Police and the DSE have been against this decision and apart from the Jamison police (who will fine you) are not willing to police/enforce it. They are in the process of trying to get everyone on board and notified but he didnt sound too confident.

He did say they nor the police really have the means of accessing the are anyway.

So your call run the gauntlet or not, none of them agree so what do you do?"
Old 24-06-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Sounds like Fun!
Old 24-06-2009
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This winter closure of Mt Skene has been in for some time but has never been enforced. As far as tourism is concerned the pubs & shops rely on the huge number of people travelling up there so the local authorities turn a blind eye. As it's a main 2WD route that is never cleared of snow, councils are obliged to close it for public safety as the liability should someone be caught up there would be huge if they weren't warned.
If you're unsure whether to go or not just drive up via Lazzarini's spur as there is no warning sign going in that way.
Really all you have to say if challenged is you " have spoken to Glen Patton at Heyfield police station, he said the Licola-Jamison rd is not officially closed". What more do you need to do?
As far as a track closure list from DSE & Parks you can find it here. http://www.fwdvictoria.org.au/upload...WDV%202009.pdf Most of the tracks of intrest are in the Mansfield State Forrest.
Old 24-06-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The plot thickens!

This is great info guys - keep it coming!

MJOC have a snow trip on 22 Aug over Mt Skene. As an official club trip, I'm not going to take members on a closed road (esp as I am the club driver trainer and we stress road closures during training!) but I reckon if I was on a trip with mates, if there is no gate and the police aren't supporting it, I would go..........
Old 24-06-2009
Rock Munki

thats a fair call crackles, im just a little aprehensive of suggesting to go up there if its closed. i would hate for everyone to get fined. hence why i am looking for a definative answer from someone as to whether it is closed or not. i've also rang the above authorities and am waiting to hear back from jamieson PD.