KL Trailhawk Tyres - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2015

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts
Default KL Trailhawk Tyres

Hi All,

Just picked up a KL Trailhawk a couple of weeks ago and loving it - so far it's a brilliant package - though Jeep's choice of tyres for Australia is a little baffling - basically a glorified highway tyre, which seems kinda at odds with the intent of the TH.

So - I'm looking to replace the tyres fairly soon and curious for opinions on All Terrain tyres. I'm planning a trip to central Australia in a few months - Oodnadatta Track, Mereenie Loop Rd, etc. I know these roads aren't particularly 'off-road' but they do eat road tyres for breakfast, so I want something that isn't going to fall to pieces at the first sight of a few sharp rocks. Obviously, outback durability with minimal compromises in braking, handing and comfort is the goal. I live in Melbourne, so it also needs to hang on in the wet, too...

At the moment I'm leaning towards Bridgestone Dueler D697's but would be interested in others experience/recommendations.

Thanks for reading!
Old 05-02-2015
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Out of curiosity what is the tyre size fitted now?
You'll probably have to check the KK tyre threads if it's a small (for 4wd) low profile or maybe even models softer than Cherokee? Hankooks are proving popular on Cherokees and Grands, but look for stronger LT version if available in your size.
Old 05-02-2015

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Hi KKnut,

Probably should've mentioned that - tyres are 245/65 17 - I'd be looking to stick with the same size.
Old 05-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

Have a look at the Cooper AT3. They are made to survive Aussie conditions and still give excellent road manners. If you can step up to 245/70r17 they come in a full 10 ply light truck rating.
Old 05-02-2015
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Anything AT should be fine. The dueler range from Bridgestone is popular in central Australia, as is cooper at, mickey Thompson, and BFG. Mud terrains are unnecessary for most of the terrain.

Light truck variants are handy for heavier vehicles but a trail hawk shouldn't need them considering they aren't much bigger than an xtrail.

If you can't carry a full second spare wheel, just transporting a second spare tyre will save you lengthy wait times on spare replacement out here. Delivery times operate on a whole different schedule to the 'next day delivery' you'll see around the edges of the country
Old 05-02-2015
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

I second wrench's suggestion of the Cooper AT3, I ran a set for nearly 80k but had to bin them due to noise and vibration. Shame as they still had plenty of tread, being LT construction too the sidewalls survived some decent abuse. I expect you'll see similar conditions on that trip you're planning.

Passenger tyres (non LT) are fine for the beach and occasional light duty offroading but anything more serious and you'll start to see their weakness. NTRubicon is right about the vehicle weight not requiring LT but it's not the reason most 4wd owners buy them.

Quick story - I was lazy one day and didn't change over to the muddies from my day to day passenger construction AT tyres before heading on a short day trip with some JK boys, well I got some nasty gashes on the sidewalls that I've never experienced on my muddies or Coopers. So never again will I buy non LT as I just can't promise with clear conscience to never be lazy. [emoji57]
Old 10-02-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

I run geolander ats LT and love them. They are very reasonably priced to get you going - if you can get a 2nd up on your roof itd be ideal. Any available tyre out there will get you out of trouble so as long as you have a common size brand wont matter