Grand Willys Project - Page 263 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Paying the price of not pre-stretching the beaded area enough. You would have seen how big the bulge was in the previous post, but it needed more. Note the T stake I made that suits the bead that I will hammer over to stretch it. What I did get right though was carefully working the very first bed side I made so I can now use it to build the tailgate.

I started stretching over the stake just using a panel hammer, but it leaves the surface rough. I switched to using the chaser instead and can see on the top bead how much better it comes out.

I have now worked the right side and only done some on the left so far. Takes hours as all have to be stretched equally right along the whole length so they match each other and stay straight and level. I am not going to worry about getting it perfectly flat in the middle of the panel between the sets of beads, as that will be cut out later for the logo to be welded in.

I am trying to see if I can do a full closed rectangle for the bottom frame rather than just plug welding it to a piece of box tubing. Hammering down on the timber offcut away from the new fold to start with. In this case centred over the previous fold.

This fold I couldn't complete as it hit the support legs. My welding bench is made from two different sized old barbeque plates. Where the top plate stops short is very handy for finishing and crisping up folds. I hammer the bolster into the corner and the fold increases.

Hammer my flipper with the mallet to remove any dents from all the hand folding work.

All nice and square and smooth ready for the last and hardest fold of all, to close the rectangle.

I packed the area inside the fold with lengths of flat bar as could not buy it in the dimension I needed. I have been hitting it upwards to bring the last fold over from the bottom.

I made this makeshift bolster to help bring the fold over as the normal one was too tall and I risked hitting the top roll in the panel. I also used this to hammer along the fold line over the rubber mat before I started. This helps the fold start better and keep it from moving off line.

Came over really well and it is sitting there fully closed without any clamps or even spot welds yet!

I folded up the ends with a recess for where the cable stays will go later. Another 'Z' section sits over the top of the side flange and comes down onto the face to make it 50mm-2" wide. Same setup as the factory tailgate has. The centre is cut out ready for the WO logo. Have to wait to see what it came out like in the next instalment when I have time to weld it all in!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 03-08-2021
LokRinger

This time I TIG welded with a 1.6mm-16# lanthanated tungsten and 0.9-0.035 MIG wire for the filler rod. The thinner wire left even less to grind at the end. I welded it from the back this time as had easier access.

With just the right amount of planishing on the welds I got all the distortion out and everything it sitting nice and flat.

The back side was fully detailed as well as will be able to see it when the tailgate is down.

Getting the full picture for the first time really how the proportions worked out. I like it as it looks masculine and suits a utilitarian vehicle! Not sure if to create my own hinges, pivot point must be right on the edge of the bottom fold, or just use stainless heavy duty piano hinge. Even stainless external building hinges would work.

The valance and roll pan balance out better now too. Going to change the hitch cover though by removing the badge and folding a mid steel skin over the stainless to make it flush. Swap the stainless LED licence plate lamps for black ones as well to remove a bit more bling. Lot more to go on it yet including the 90* bend to make the bedside top roll flow into the tailgate etc.

My web site:
Old 04-08-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Gotta say your were right and I was wrong. The three lines with the monogram look great. feared it was going to look fussy but the proportions are right.

Agree with now simplifying the surrounding furniture.

Thanks for the updates.

DG
Old 04-08-2021
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

It looking very good. FWIW, I don't mind the bling, I think it may help when there's some colour on the Jeep.
Old 04-08-2021
LokRinger

Thanks guys. I was holding my breath a bit on this one hoping it would all workout in the end.
Even delayed listing the original tailgate until I was confident it would be alright.

Video update: https://youtu.be/gwrKBPr-BoI

eBay tailgate auction: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304092155837

My web site:
Old 05-08-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

I'm busting to see this in the flesh
Old 08-08-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ