Grand Willys Project - Page 273 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2022
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

I had to make a corner trim piece between the headlining and the rear wall. Tried to modify some windscreen trim to do it, but the results were not satisfactory. So decided to make it from some bar from an old F clamp found buried under my father house! It was tuff steel to move and had to heat it the best I good with a propane torch.

Shaped the bar to match the profile of the rest of the trim. Closest end still needs to be capped.

Here they are installed. I was originally thinking to paint them and the window surround body colour, but will go with satin black to match the leather and the dash etc.

Just showing how I make the trim pieces that go at each end of the windscreen centre bar as need custom length ones anyway. These are not reproduced and there is a shortish of them. Started with the main fold and then folded the edges over the end of the bench leaving the other end flat like stock.

To add the curve I simply opened up the vice to support the sides and hammered with a round faced hammer.

A 1/8" pilot hole was drilled and punched over the drilled bar stock.

Followed by the second punch with the wider chamfer.

Can see how I had to make them a bit different than the stock ones on the right due to my dash and header differences. But making stock shaped ones would be the same technique.

Here is the bottom one installed over the Willys lower windscreen trim. The trim will be painted to match the dash after everything gets pulled down for body paint.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 08-02-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I think the satin black will probably look the best longer term as the trim will disappear more than if it were painted the body colour. Have you considered wrapping some pieces in the vinyl like the A pillar?
Old 08-02-2022
LokRinger

Thank you for the comment.
I did think of wrapping more trim but then have to pick where you stop. As then the side window trims and the one around the rear window would be very difficult to do in one piece.

My web site:
Old 08-02-2022
LokRinger

Next trim pieces are for across the top of the windscreen. Original size is laying on the top, but felt it was out of scale with the A pillar covers I had made. So going to piece together offcuts from the door window trims.

As luck would have it the trim was the perfect size to support the windscreen seal and hook around and protect the front edge of the headliner!

I have cut the end to follow the profile of the A pillar trim and left just enough of the curve to match the headliner.

Ended up having to join 3 pieces together for each half. Had to shape it around the centre console and allow for the wiring loom to the mirror.

Covered it in matching trim to the A pillar.

Can see the upper and lower clips I made for the centre bar. The screws go right through the trim to the back of the outside centre bar and clamp it all together. The windscreen is now supported all the way around.

At sitting height very little of the trim is seen, but frames the windscreen nicely I think. I left the bottom trim stock width as it has the defrost louver in it and didn't want to reduce the depth of the dash anymore visually or cover the side window defrost vents.

My web site:
Old 08-02-2022
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

Looks like a factory job in that last pic....

No, hang on, its better than factory.

Cheers.
Old 08-02-2022
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace1 View Post
Looks like a factory job in that last pic....

No, hang on, its better than factory.

Cheers.
Ha ha, love it.

My web site:
Old 08-02-2022
LokRinger

A little video update.
https://youtu.be/QDmqUeHJNag

My web site: