Why do You Own a XJ - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Talking Why do You Own a XJ

Why do you own a XJ ? Most are now over 20 Years old.......
I have been wondering about this for a while and thought it might make a interesting
topic to discuss.....................................
So I guess I will go first.... I Own a XJ Because....
After the missus put the ED Falcon wagon into a tree 5 years ago I needed another
tow vehicle as you cant tow anything with a PT Cruiser The falcon was perfect
for that I only had $2000 insurance and could scratch up another couple of grand
to get a replacement vehicle........I needed a automatic as my disability dont
let me drive manuals anymore a 4x4 would be nice living in the outback.

So a XJ seemed a good idea I ended up getting mine from a guy in town for $750
after 5 years of fixing near everything ..now it owes me about $7500 But looks like its worth $1000
and realisticly only worth that.
So much for being a cheap 4x4 ......... But you know I wouldnt part with it !
And what could I buy for $7500 ? I know every nut and bolt on my XJ
I can fix it if I have to ..... I know all its little quirks .....
I am not a serious 4x4er But I go off road every day down dirt roads and bush tracks
the dogs hobby is roo chasing .................so we go bush every day..do some camping
Its comfortable to drive long distances in Suits all my needes why would I drive anything else.
Yes I will have to spend more $ to keep a 22 yr old car on the road ...........But I just like it.
So why do you choose to drive a OLD 4x4?
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_).................................
Old 22-08-2018
Trail Twister

Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

I own several because I think they are a really nice and capable package. They always seem to amaze me. ..And are a good meccano set that are easy to work on.
Old 23-08-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like the fact that they are really easy to work on and when built well they look great. Don't like the fuel economy too much but hey its a jeep.
Old 23-08-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

I needed a new hobby.....

Plenty of tinkering around required, why only yesterday successfully fitted a new water pump....

Old 23-08-2018
Established Member

Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts
Default Xj

I just bought a KJ CRD for my main run around vehicle.
Only had it a day and the transmission went into limp mode.
Finally got it to reset near home and hasn't done it since. A week later and it threw up the engine light again and 10 minutes later cut out and wouldn't restart. Walk home 500m luckily and jumped in my XJ to drive back with obd reader. Turns out the crank angle sensor died.
Towed it home and its in the back yard getting timing belt, water pump front seals, thermostat, power steer hoses, viscous fan drive, aircon regas etc etc etc, oh and new suspension shocks springs and bushes and ball joints. Probably another 3 weeks before its back on the road.

So why do I own an XJ, it has never let me down yet in 3 years of ownership,
I threw suspension at it and a radiator and even when it blew the head gasket between 1 and 2 it still drove me home 250km's.

I,m seriously wondering whether the KJ might be a mistake, absolute pig to work on compared to the XJ.
Seeing as the XJ's rego was going to run out the day after the KJ died it has 6 months on it again. If I get any drama out of the KJ it goes and the XJ stays.
Old 23-08-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I got bored after ressurecting my clio sport with a new motor, new panels and interior (I like to keep my hands busy). Got the XJ as an auto daily I can leave anywhere and not give 2 stuffs about if it copped a hit, and can go bush whenever I feel like it.

I also remember seeing them a heap when younger, had matchbox cars of them and seeing them on TV a lot (bourne identity, goonies, ronin, dumb and dumber, shallow hal) and liked the look of them. Just a classic box which can go offroad and is pretty cool little package.

It gives me the shits somedays as it loves to leak everything, but I do love the car and its interesting owning it. Ideally I would love to do a full resto on it one day, as my car is pretty darned clean for its age and has only 155k on it (done 15k in 12 months is ok for someone who never has to drive technically, with 2 cars...)
Old 23-08-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

Bought the car new 23 years ago.

It is the kind of car that you can drive into a tight shopping centre car park, drive it across the country, or literally go off the beaten track without having to consider the consequences.

Why do I still have it? Because it still works like it did the first day it rolled off the steeler yard, it has less than 1/2 meg of electronics on it, has basic sensors, and will not throw a code when you are in the middle of bugger all. It is a very forgiving car, built like few others for its age.

It is easy to maintain [4.0L engine bay]. What else is out there like it?
Post New Thread  Reply