Winch help - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-08-2020
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Winch help

Looking for a low profile winch and after recommendations.

I was recommended the warn Xeon but at 2k it’s over the budget.

What winches are you all running? One of the others I was looking at was the runva 11xp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

As I am getting ready to replace the rust rocker on the front of my jeep I was going to dig more deeply into this the Colt by Sherpa 4x4.

Let us know what you go with - for winches though if it is a few bucks more for a brand I can trust - I would save another month or 4 to make sure it was there and did what I needed, when I needed.

Good luck!
Old 19-08-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

There’s a Warn Zeno 9 on eBay right now $1,690 or make offer. Looks new. I’d be saving up for a good quality winch like Warn rather than something cheap.
Old 19-08-2020
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Well i cant say Ive ever owned an expensive branded one (Dad has and he has never used it), but I have had “cheaper” on my vehicles and haven’t missed a beat. With exception of a Supercheap branded one on my old kJ which stopped after two years.... Last one I had on my JK was a runva 9000lbs evo something something.... bloody quick.. lasted 8 years before it’s weight limit was maxed trying to skull pull a land cruiser out of mud up a hill..... in saying that other than the land cruiser (Which double line pulled worked a treat), it never missed a beat and worked every time (Five or six times a year, usually pulling other people out). Ive only just upgraded it to a dominator 12000lbs extreme winch, only because Ive seen them work in person (on landcruisers and patrols) and have worked well so far and I wanted 12000lbs and not 9. Has a 2year warranty also.. so I figure the 500 odd I paid for it may been worth it...

I was tempted to go back to Runva getting a 11000lbs winch, great product, have plenty of after sales parts and servicing, mostly readily available.....but they are also on the heavier side... and I figure the price wasn’t that big a deal between the two brands.. But is a brand Ive worked with and trust

(Just remember for every row of wraps around the drum of the winch you loose 10% pulling power) so short winches you may have already lost between 20-30% power just because of the amount of rope spooled on the drum...

I also prefer rope to cable, and I also prefer to use a rope ring rather than a pulley.... Ive also been thing of getting an x lock for the winch,.,,, Dunno... need to do more research..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Remember to disable controls from winch so it can only be used via remote control. Don’t want some evil prankster doing this while you’re parked at a shopping centre. https://www.whichcar.com.au/gear/win...en-rodeo-video
Old 19-08-2020
Rated the trail

Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

Great example of why you use dampeners on steel or any ropes or cables for that matter... I’m surprised the battery didn’t give up the ghost before more of the damage was done...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Go the Runva
I have had one for 5 years, never serviced it, used in anger about 10 times or so.
I will run it out and back in several times a year just to make sure it works.
I do have an issue with it not power winching out but I think its a solenoid issue so not really a winch fault.

Servicing can be done by yourself without voiding the warranty and
Quote:
Ingress of water, mud and dust
We believe that winches are designed to be used off-road and therefore could be exposed to water, mud, dust or snow on a regular
basis. Our warranty covers your winch against ingress of these elements under normal use. We do exclude the use of high pressure
jets on the winch, please do not waterblast your winch.