Buying my first Jeep! I need some advice - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Hi

The 3.6 L Pentastar already have a Transmission cooler and the 3.8 lacks that. I have not heard that any one ad a secondary transmission cooler to a Pentastar, but what do I know

"A stand-alone transmission cooler was added to keep the auto tranny cool and all Wrangler models will receive a new variable-speed electric fan.

From http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-r...-pentastar-v6/
Thanks for the info! I was actually having a look at it and couldn't really find any threads on the Pentastar so this makes sense.

It's just a matter of deciding between a used or new one now.

At the moment I've got the price difference down to about $7k so it's not a huge difference.
I'm leaning towards just getting a new one but still unsure.
Have to look at a few used ones next weekend and go from there.

EDIT: The price difference is actually more like $9k if I get a new Auto but I'm pretty confident the dealer will drop another $1k-$2k once I'm ready to sign

Last edited by Rod.D.; 17-08-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Error
Old 17-08-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

Which ever Jeep you are looking at, get the VIN and have a look at what it left the factory with:

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail

I understand newer JKRs actually have an engine oil cooler as well, but for the life of me I can't find in the engine bay.
Old 17-08-2015

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Have you factored in the price of transferring registration on a second hand one?

I don't know why most people are for the auto, I test drove both and much preferred the manual. With mostly city driving though, an auto would be better.
Old 17-08-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10a Rubicon View Post
I don't know why most people are for the auto, I test drove both and much preferred the manual. With mostly city driving though, an auto would be better.
You missed the point.
I prefer to drive manuals as well, it was the reliability which is questionable.
Buggered if I want to spend my weekends in the shed sifting through transmission parts when I could be fishing.
Some of the horror stories I have heard revolve around repair quality and costs. Not good if you require someone to repair it for you.
The Op drives in sand, much better with an auto, providing the cooling is adequate as already mentioned.

Last edited by Wazza D; 17-08-2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Can't spell for sh#t.
Old 17-08-2015
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

The only issues I have heard of with any manual in a JK is when it is paired with the CRD. It has the hideously expensive dual mass flywheel and the CRD had to be downrated so that the gearbox could withstand the torque.
Old 17-08-2015
Established Member

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaDOC View Post

Regarding the Rubicon I agree it's a pretty good package but after spending some time with my Sport I'm actually glad I went with it. For me the rubicon transfer case would just be too low for beach work and the trails I do. I actually have really good control in 4L and the auto when crossing logs and the ltechnical stuff, never once wished for a lower gear. if I did have a rubicon I think I would be forever going from 4L to 4H and always wanting something right in the middle. What a pain it is going from high to low range, Toyota FTW there!

But looking at the terrain our state side friends drive on, I can see the merit of the rubicon transfer with all the rock climbing they do.

I do wish the lockers were available as a factory option though, that would be handy with a lease.
I am not an expert but I think if You are in 4L and have the auto in a Rubicon You can maybe manually select gear 4 and it will not crawl to slow or maybe gear 3 Instead of D. I know it works like that but if it is great for the beach I dont know. I mean You can manually select the gears from normally 1-5 with the new Autobox. I think the auto in D mode is in second gear
Old 17-08-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts

It sounds to me, you're not going to need lockers or sway bar disconnect so a Rubicon would be a waste. As for the stock tyres well our JKU is now on it's second set as I personally don't have a problem with them and they can be had real cheep. Sometimes with almost new wheels.
Go the 3.6 auto, just better all round and so much easier if you get into a sticky situation.
If you buy new get a reverse camera included.
I had a my13 Rubicon and had the mopar trans cooler fitted from new, there was only the standard below radiator cooler on that one.
You will be amazed at what a bog standard JK can do but as others have said there are better road cars to be had, I now drive a Grand but the Mrs. still drives the Wrangler.
Post New Thread  Reply