Jeep Wrangler Jk Death wobbles - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Expert Tips
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

As Seacomms said, the first thing is change your mechanic. That's the most "interesting" comment your mechanic made so far.
Anyway, ball joints, tie rod ends and track bar joints are the most common cause of dw. Stock ball joints are known not to last long. In fact I have already replaced mine at 28k.

For mechanic, you can try hume offroad.

Build thread : JKU Angry Copper Build
Old 05-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

For all you Death Wobble expert I suffered em too with my 2007 CRD, every expert and steering aligment place under the sun failed to fix and even Jeep couldnt fix, ultimatelty I had to run 3mm toe out up front to preload the front wheels, I also replaced the front steering dampner every 20-30k.

If youve had death wobbles at 110kmh and starred at oncoming traffic you just dont forget that

I ve been told some of the front end on the later 2012 onwards JK ran a little more castor or something was modified, and no I havent researched as my current 2013 doesnt behave as badly as my 2007. Both were on Stock springs and coils
Old 06-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You blokes realize of course that Jeep don't have the monopoly on this problem.
A week ago I saw a Land Cruiser coming toward me with an absolutely awesome attack of it.
Looked like the front wheels were about to fly off in apposite directions.
Don't know what was more unnerving, the death wobbles or the look on the drivers face.
Old 31-01-2016

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I had those wretched death wobbles in my 2007 JKU Rubi. I bought the car second hand and it already had a 3.5 inch lift and had the front upper ball joints replaced with non genuine greasable ones.
In my case the death wobble was eminating from the front track bar.....well to be more specific the holes in the chassis which accomodated the track bar mounting bolts, they had become "ovalised". I could have just welded some washers over the original holes but instead I went the hole hog with a steering flip bracket which had a new hole for the track bar bolt and also another heavy duty bracket for the other end of the track bar. The wobble is gone. Had the factory plastic ball joints not been replaced, I would have changed them too. They will eventually give you a wobble.
My money is on the ball joints or the track bar mounting points.
Old 24-02-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

Read and follow this will solve all death wobble/shimmy issues
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723
Post New Thread  Reply