JK Front bumper roundup - Page 135 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo89 View Post
Hey folks ready to pull the trigger on an smitty xrc atlas front bar. I love the look of it but I just wanted to double check the weight before i do. I have seen a few sites in the states that list this bar as 223lbs which converted to kgs = 101kg approx. Seems awfully heavy... Am i missing something here or is it just a super heavy bar?? Can anyone verify this??
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowing View Post
You are correct. Quite safe to say that it's one of the heaviest bar around at double the weight of most others. If you want that, it'll be a good idea to look into some coil spring spacers or springs with higher spring rate to compensate the heavy weight in case you are going to add winch as well.
I struggle to believe its really 100kg

I'm considering purchasing this bar myself, Jeep Konnection has it listed with a shipping weight of 50kg.

http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/Smit...tlas-Front-Bar
Old 13-11-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Both the Atlas front and rear bars are very heavy.....as an example, I fitted the front Uneek bar on my JK myself, lifting it into position without a problem.
The rear Atlas bar on mine needed two of us to position it....would have been difficult for one person due to the weight. The bar and spare tyre gate together are way more than I could lift off the ground. Any of the Smittybilt bars I've test lifted on display were noticeably heavier than you'd expect.
For info, I think the Uneek front bar is around 47KG.
Old 13-11-2016
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Both the Atlas front and rear bars are very heavy.....as an example, I fitted the front Uneek bar on my JK myself, lifting it into position without a problem.
The rear Atlas bar on mine needed two of us to position it....would have been difficult for one person due to the weight. The bar and spare tyre gate together are way more than I could lift off the ground. Any of the Smittybilt bars I've test lifted on display were noticeably heavier than you'd expect.
Seems you are correct, and most others who commented on the Atlas weight.
Jeepkonnection probably just understated shipping weight.

Ended up deciding on the MCC bar.
Not my Jeep, but its the same colour and same bar.
Old 14-11-2016
Established Member

Scratch that.

Going for the Smittybilt XRC modular instead with low profile top hoop and full width end plates.
Old 14-11-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
How did you find the install on your own? I notice the website says about an hour
Old 14-11-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Can't comment on the Atlas rear bar but the Atlas front bar weighs 55kg (just weighed it out of curiosity as it's currently sitting on my garage floor). That is split between 3 parts; main bar 36kg (including fairlead roller protector & hoop), winch mount (without winch) 12kg, and the lower protection strip 7kg. So the heaviest part you need to lift is 36kg.

It's a little awkward to fit by yourself due to the shape and balance of it and it needs to go on at an angle but it is not that difficult. As with any bar, definitely easier to fit with 2 people but still possible by yourself. Took me a few hours to fit mine but that was with plenty of messing about and trial fitting.
Old 14-11-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusyApples View Post
How did you find the install on your own? I notice the website says about an hour
Very easy job...but then I've got an engineering background.
Most time consuming was removing the OEM front bar etc without breaking anything.
I can't see anyone having issues doing this themselves, if they can swing a spanner....you don't need anything fancy.
Post New Thread  Reply