Commander drawers securing? How? Ideas? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker747 View Post
Nice work. How did you manage to secure it in to the floor to support the extended weight?
Each of the larger (forward-most) drawer slides are riveted+sikaflexed to 3mm aluminium angle, which is bolted through the timber and body floor, into rivnuts in steel plates on the underside of the body, with extra bolts towards the front of the slides.
I used the plates with rivnuts so I could slide them above the AUX tank, and line-up with holes already drilled through the body, with sikaflex to seal the plates against the body.
No photos of any of that as my hands ended up covered in sikaflex for most of the day .

The timber frame is also bolted at the front to some brackets which held the stock plastic floor, through the spare wheel winder hole, and to some small studs at the front for the stock plastic floor. I only used these points to hold everything in position while I drilled the timber, plates and body, but figured I'd might-as-well still use them. Can never have too many bolts

The weakest point is probably the bolts holding the aluminium angle, as I used low-profile bolts and sunk them 1mm to let the slide sit as low of possible. The angle is also glued and bolted through just the timber in a couple of spots using screw-nuts, mostly to keep everything aligned while drilling, but should help a bit too.

One of the shallow drawers will have a burner on it (still working on that.), so I'll still have some thin legs to help support it when fully extended for cooking.
Old 07-07-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice job. Just realised you are in a GC. Was reading while doing a few other things earlier. Good to keep in mind, looking at the aux tank in the near future.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I made mine out of old bed frame angle, I'm more of a metal worker, than wood. Basically the whole perimeter is angle, with feet to lift it level with the load lip. Then a divider to suit the fridge slide welded in.

The back legs bolt directly into the rear seat mounts and the front are attached with threaded u bolt to the front seat clips.

The floor panel on the right slides into a bracket at the front and two large bolts at the back. So it is easy to remove, to access the gear underneath.

It has worked well for me, hope my explanation helps, it is a bit rushed. I could supply measurements, but that would mean pulling everything out and I'm a bit busy ATM. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020291.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	74359   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020292.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	74360   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020294.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	74361   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020297.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	74362   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020295.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	74363  

Last edited by 08crd; 07-07-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2016
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

[IMG][/IMG]Thanks!! Think I'll see if I can have a friend or boily make up a frame to match the 3rd row anchor points. 08crd oddly I am better with timber than metal.

Frame for the draws is ready to go. Including a tube going directly down to the spare tyre release knob. Thought that will be useless in the coming months with a LRT going in. At some stage.
Old 07-07-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker747 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Thanks!! Think I'll see if I can have a friend or boily make up a frame to match the 3rd row anchor points. 08crd oddly I am better with timber than metal.

Frame for the draws is ready to go. Including a tube going directly down to the spare tyre release knob. Thought that will be useless in the coming months with a LRT going in. At some stage.
The framework looks great, wish i was good with wood, everything I make with wood, wobbles.
Old 07-07-2016
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

08crd, I am not saying I am great, just better. I'll keep posting as they come along. Thanks
Old 20-02-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Hey all. I was just about to start a new thread when I found this one which has quite a bit of valuable info in it and so I figured I would continue with it.

So I have recently found myself with some spare time after finishing my Uni studies last year (I run an office as well!) and so now it is time to set my Commander up properly for touring.

I have been looking at different options for the rear cargo area to be able to secure our camping fridge and other gear and make it all easily accessible for packing, unpacking whilst also being practical for general use. As you know, the Commander is a 7 seater with seats that fold into the floor when not in use. The resultant "floor" has an approx. 80mm rise above the lip of the cargo opening.

If you remove the 3rd row seats, you actually end up with approx. 150mm depth of space from the "floor" created by the folded seats to the actual floor of the cargo area. I have seen others (such as Steel Armadillo in USA) create lockable storage boxes for the void left by the seats which is great until you need to access it and you have a heap of gear/fridge in the back.

http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Hue...006-1.jpg.html

To solve this problem somewhat I was originally looking at installing a 50/50 split storage box with a fridge slide like another Commander owner on this forum (JRJ33P), but after chatting with him about it he reckons his wasn't all that practical to access, so he is going with a set of drawers instead. The main reason I liked his option is that you can utilise all of the under floor storage space available whilst retaining the original floor level that matches the 2nd row seats when they're folded, but it still doesn't help much with the ease of access for packing for camping or for the storage area under the fridge.

I have thought about going down the drawers path, but didn't really like it for a couple of reasons:

a) The drawers lift the floor level of the cargo area up too high to access the fridge easily, unless you want to spend $800 on a drop down fridge slide
b) Access to the 70mm void in the floor below the cargo lip will be either not be possible or will be compromised
c) The drawers will remain in there permanently unless you want to go through the trouble of taking them out each time you are not using them

So now I am thinking about trying to go for something like JamesLaugesen has created as shown in this thread. i.e. a 50/50 split plywood floor with anchor track and both halves of the floor able to be pulled out for easy access. One side you could secure the fridge to without the need for a designated fridge slide (meaning you could change your fridge easily) and then make a removable storage unit that can be secured to the other half of the floor that can also slide out. The main thing I like about this setup is that without the fridge and storage unit in the cargo area, it is essentially the standard floor with more practicality. By the looks of James' setup, there appears to be some storage still available underneath the sliding floor sections that you can access too, which would be great for items like tools, spare parts, recovery gear etc. Not sure that I would need to have 2 sliding sections on both sides like James has, so I may end up with more storage space under the sliding floor sections.

My only real issue with this setup is that unlike James, I still have my spare wheel located underneath the cargo area, so I would still need access to the winch hole, which is located in the centre (right underneath where he has the drawer slides). I may be able to address this by offsetting them to one side and making a 60/40 split, but not sure how practical this would be?

Has anyone got some advice to offer before I go tearing into this thing and then realise I could have done it a better way? The main thing I want to achieve is practicality for touring without compromising storage space. Cost is less of a concern as long as I can get it right the first time.

Cheers,
Hanna