mechanical courses available? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default mechanical courses available?

Hi all,

A blown head gasket has got me thinking....

Are there night school mechanical courses offered anywhere? I'm on the sunny coast and from what i can see i have to be an apprentice or unemployed to do any of the TAFE mechanical courses that are on offer.

I work full time but really want to learn more about fixing and diagnosing mechanical issues with my car and Jeep.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where i can go to learn this stuff?

Cheers
Old 24-08-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same idea the other night, but I don't really have any solutions.

I checked the adult education offered by the local TAFE; they have a basic servicing course, but that's probably just changing oils and stuff.

I was going to raise the idea with my club, see if anyone was interested in running/organising a course.

Lemme know if you worked anything out,
Cheers
Old 24-08-2011
The Chook Whisperer

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

You can do correspondence courses and learn the basics that way,no practical side involved though which is an issue..
Old 24-08-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Get yourself a copy of the Service Manual and start with the basic stuff. Most mechanical stuff is fairly easy (especially if you have the 'special tools', it's really about having the confidence to dive in and do it. Let's face it, if you own a Jeep you had better be prepared to get your hands dirty now and then.
Old 27-08-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd recommend a call to your local TAFE and have a chat with someone in the automotive section if possible to see if they run, or know of something that is run, to cover what you are after.

I did the trade course in the mid 1990's and we used two Gregory's books as our text books "Automotive Mechanics Fundamentals" and "Automtovie Mechanics Service Repair Diagnosis". I still use them today when I'm trying to get a better understanding of an automotive system to aid diagnostics. I also use them to explain more technical information to my mates when they have car troubles - the pictures are clear and easy to understand.

The rest of the course material were folders of printed activity sheets which were pretty straight forward and I didn't keep them. The important learning was on the job, and being in a workshop was a great way to learn. Owning a Jeep gives you a similar learning opportunity!

You could find out what text books are the basis for the current apprenticeship course and use those to better understand the fundamentals. A workshop manual will then give you the technical how-to that is specifically for your vehicle, and you should obtain the Jeep factory service manual for completeness and accuracy, and a Gregory's one for your vehicle because they explain the process of repair in more detail and aim it at a DIYer.

Use that, and come back on the forum often to ask questions and you should be right. For your head gasket issue, have a read of the workshop manual and then ask specific questions if anything is unclear. There are other posts on the forum related to the repair, and what process should be followed.

Finally, buy decent tools and start with 3/8 and 1/2 inch torque wrenches! As a first year apprentice I had to carry them around so I got a feel for the right torque on fasteners and it was an important starting point.
Old 01-09-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers Ooz. Manual was ordered two weeks ago and still has not turned up. I couldn't believe how easy the head gasket was to replace on the thing 8 hours and a bucket full of cursing got me there in the end with the help of a mate. I am a firm advocate of buying good tools as you only have to do it once and you have em for life.

I talked to TAFE and they basically said you could either do full time or part time courses but none had after hours sessions available. I suppose i have to be on the dole to do it and that is never going to be an option. Might have to talk to the boys in camoflage and see what the reserves offer.
Post New Thread  Reply