JK, 80 Series LC... whaT? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-08-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

For what it’s worth, I’ve had 60 series and 2x100 series cruisers, CJ Jeep, along with GQ patrol, TD5 Defender, gun126r Hilux (current model). The 100 series were rubbish, 60 series great (spent 4 years with it in Weipa driving all over cape and gulf, only let me down twice). GQ better than 100 series (true). Hilux - an over-priced tradies ute with major problems. Defender has been best of them all, but just too cramped driving position for me, and very agricultural, but plenty of space and unstoppable off road. Bought the JKU as after owning all these (and a few others way back) it ticked all my boxes - most comfortable (apart from the 100 series) and nicest to drive, excellent on road with off road capability beyond question, simple to work on, most modifiable (if you want, and parts/accessories are not expensive), heaps of space especially if only 2 people and you fold down or remove rear seats, it’s convertible soft top if you want, love the petrol engine and the auto (first petrol I’ve had for many many years and one of the main reasons I looked at the wrangler). I could also go on about the superior build quality in comparison to Toyota, and the reliability and lack of drivetrain/suspension longevity in the 100 series cruisers, but as you’re asking about an 80 series and I haven’t owned one, and I haven’t owned the wrangler for too long, I probably shouldn’t even be commenting, sorry.

Last edited by clip; 30-08-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 30-08-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

great video
Old 31-08-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies and nice video.

There very well could be enough space in a JKU... maybe I am just not thinking how much you actually 'need' to take.

I am under the impression you need 2 watering cans x20L each, you need an 80L fridge for leafy greens and other perishable vegetables (they take up space so the 80L gives it the space), the 80L fridge will be about 500mm-600mm X something in size, so there goes 1 3rd of the rear already. A queen size 4x4 mattress, sits at 1.8M long and about 30-40cm diameter when rolled up... so that will go from door-door. Then you need a 2 pots/pans/gas bottles, then you need space for a tent, clothes etc.

Uhm... yeah, do you really need all that or are there places to buy stuff frequently that having all that 'reserve' is not even necessary?

Had a look at ABR, they got a 60L long range tank to add to the JK, claim it can give you over 1000km in total... Pretty sure that would be enough between stops.
Old 31-08-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

If you leave the rear seats in, you will have a hard time fitting an 80L fridge in the back of a JKU.

I have an Ironman 50L fridge on a fridge slide and there is just enough room to have this in the 'boot'. To get around this, I also have a 33L Waeco Ice box which fits nicely in the footwell of the rear seat. That way I use the fridge as a freezer and the ice box for keeping everything cool.

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sal...-icebox-WCI-33

Things like water containers and bedding can remain in the cabin, however you then need to look at places to stow gas bottles, stoves etc. That's where a full roof rack comes in handy.

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/jk-wrangl...rack-unlimited

Personally, I'll never buy another Toyota again, I've had nothing but trouble with the two Toyota 4WDs I've owned.

If it's the look of the Wrangler you like, have you considered a Defender?

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 31-08-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

One thing not mentioned yet is the internal roll cage.

To begin with, this used to get in my way all the time. Now I use it to my advantage and basically attach stuff to it whenever I can. Perhaps you could suspend a camp mattress from the roll cage between the rear doors? (rear view mirror visibility will become zero but it always does anyway!)

I splashed out recently and bought the James Baroud XXL and AEV rack (expensive). They fit together perfectly on the JK and it's not only the best sleep I've had while camping, it's probably the best sleep I've had anywhere (when it's quiet and set up in the shade).

It also frees up tonnes of internal space that used to be taken up by the bed roll, sleeping bags, tent, pillows etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925x.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	77739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980x.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	77740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171x.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	77741  
Old 01-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

samft

you saying you have bed etc on the roof of the car?

Sleeping up there.... Uhm doesn't that feel weird?

I guess what's left is to go see one in person.

Nanook - never considered a defender. They look tough but last I heard... Anything goes wrong with a land rover and you will be waiting weeks to get out of a mess. don't know how reliable they are or anything.

Last edited by G.man; 01-09-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Land rover's like Jeeps have an unwarranted reputation for being unreliable. They aren't as bad as you hear. Their only downfall is that they are quite expensive especially now they aren't being built anymore.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply