Helping fix a diff !!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Helping fix a diff !!! On the Gold Coast

I've kind of been roped in to helping fix an xj diff (D35) on Monday...

key points are..

My limited experience is I successfully locked and regeared my TJ a few years ago with all new parts

The car belongs to backpackers who want to drive it to Sydney on Wednesday.The car is at a mechanics workshop on the Gold Coast. its not my show, I'm just gonna help with any thing I can.

The cover hasnt been taken off yet, but diagnosed as a diff issue by the mechanic.

The existing diff has ABS sensors.(unknown ratio)

Have a complete spare diff from a wrecker. (without ABS sensors)(unknown ratio)

My questions are...

If we swap the entire diff...Will the ABS of the existing diff swap over onto the spare diff?

Do I really need a spreader if I decide to just swap carriers... I figure if the old bearings are used I might get away without adding too much preload?
I can check pattern and backlash and reinstall as it was.

Has anyone on the Gold Coast got parts that might help if needed? and available Monday?

I have no intention of disturbing the pinion as I realise that's a whole new can of worms...

Last edited by Tallpieman; 14-09-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 14-09-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

With wear and years of driving on the diff you should be able to unbolt the bearing caps and it will pop out easily

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 14-09-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Sometimes it can be as simple as changing the diff oil the d35 lsd gets real noisy and doesn't like to turn corners especially in reverse when running standard diff oil it must have lsd gear oil .. when I bought my jeep I have now I drove it up from Melbourne thought it was cactus as it wined and made horrible sounds when reversing out of car spaces after highway running .. after getting home I changed the oil used lsd suitable oil and all issues disappeared ..... what is the issue exactly??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 14-09-2019
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumunji-XJTD View Post
after getting home I changed the oil used lsd suitable oil and all issues disappeared ..... what is the issue exactly??

Yes, I have considered this, and will be a win for sure if that's what it turns out to be.... Apparently has horrendous noises coming from rear end...
The truth is... I have no idea what the actual issue is until I get the cover off.

Last edited by Tallpieman; 14-09-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 14-09-2019
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
With wear and years of driving on the diff you should be able to unbolt the bearing caps and it will pop out easily

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Yeah, thats what i thought... as long as I use the matching ring gear and adjust keep backlash the same as it was.
Old 14-09-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Definitely try that first ... you will know if it's just the lsd clutch plates catching or if it's teeth missing its slips and clunks ... you will need to know the ratio of the spare most standard ratios are 3.73 .. there are youtube videos to show how to work out the ratio counting teeth if you really need to.. or there will be a tag when removing the diff cover that says

Old 14-09-2019
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumunji-XJTD View Post
Definitely try that first ... you will know if it's just the lsd clutch plates catching or if it's teeth missing its slips and clunks ... you will need to know the ratio of the spare most standard ratios are 3.73 .. there are youtube videos to show how to work out the ratio counting teeth if you really need to.. or there will be a tag when removing the diff cover that says

Yeah.. I will be ok to suss ratios
Post New Thread  Reply