Researching an expedition to Australia - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > OS Visitors
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-06-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
How long would you be here for, it would work out a lot cheaper to buy something here and sell when your finished.
Yes, I am thinking the same thing.

I did just that for my last Colorado trip, a 2-door XJ on 33" tyres with 4.5" lift.

UK registered vehicles are only allowed out of the country for 364 days. Technically it's a year but 364 days is guaranteed safe. Stay away to long and you automatically lose your registration and have to reimport your vehicle, pay import taxes, pass the BIVA test (UK engineering test), apply and pay for a new registration.

I usually abstain from UK wheeling trips for 2-years and use the money saved for the expedition. I try and get two 14 day trips at either end of a 10-month period at the destination. I rent a garage for storage or leave the Jeep with a friend. Usually allow a month for the sea crossing to USA from UK and another for the freight home. No idea how long the voyage is to Australia.
Old 28-06-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGW View Post
Where in Wales? I lived and studied in Cardiff in the late 80s and no speed cameras on the motorway. Cardiff to London in 1:42 in my mates custom VW Golf GTI 2.2 Turbo. The Sierra Cosworth was the "it" car then..
I live 10 miles south of Welshpool, about 100 metres from England.
Racing circuit track days are popular now. Speed cameras are everywhere!

I think I have some idea of the distances in Australia, probably not the remoteness. I've driven the whole way from Connecticut on the East Coast USA to Moab 2200 miles away in less than 5 days. 500+ miles per day, 8-12hrs of driving per day. That's been my longest single road trip with just sleep and fuel stops so far. I have driven lots of 500 to 700 mile single journeys mostly on improved roads but not that distance on just dirt tracks.
Old 28-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

Get in contact with these guys, they tripped around oz in a lifted xj
http://www.xxxpedition.com,
There is a link to temp vehicle importation on their website
Old 28-06-2015
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Australia was the last place that XJ ever wheeled , it was parted out here after they finished with it .

Help support the future of the forum
Old 28-06-2015
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I live 10 miles south of Welshpool, about 100 metres from England.
Racing circuit track days are popular now. Speed cameras are everywhere!

I think I have some idea of the distances in Australia, probably not the remoteness. I've driven the whole way from Connecticut on the East Coast USA to Moab 2200 miles away in less than 5 days. 500+ miles per day, 8-12hrs of driving per day. That's been my longest single road trip with just sleep and fuel stops so far. I have driven lots of 500 to 700 mile single journeys mostly on improved roads but not that distance on just dirt tracks.
Yep, here too..speed cams are everywhere now.

Driving in USA is easy, plenty of gas stops, etc.

I broke an axle at Pritchett Cyn, got out in 3 WD and fully repaired in about 2 hours by Steve Nantz at Moab 4x4 Outpost. Costed me $295 all up.
Not so here where parts could take a while. Tow & repairs are exxy too...

You may want to join a local club when they do their big cross country trips.

I second contacting XXXpedition Sven for more info.

Quote:
the xj had to stay in australia...
well, after a lot of hesitation we decided to sell the truck down under. it had over 250k miles on it and after rolling it twice in the states its body took its beating. thousands of miles of corrugated road in oz didn't help. the roofrack broke through the gutter three times. although we welded it every time the roof separated completely from the rest of the body. due to this condition the rig was not going to survive the technical inspection it would have to go through in europe. therefore it wouldn't have been road worthy and couldn't have been registered. for this reason we thought it's not worth spending a lot of money to ship the vehicle around the globe..
PM me if you're coming to Sydney, we'll take you out and around the Blue Mountains, Central and South Coasts.. Show you around the colony a bit.

Last edited by Tyvokka; 29-06-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 29-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Visitors with foreign registered vehicles normally don't have issues here...as long as they're insured.
Proof of registration and that you comply in your own country should be sufficient. I've seen a number of foreign registered cars touring in Aus over the years.
Old 29-06-2015
Established Member

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner View Post
You are coming to QLD so none of the authorities are really going to care, especially if you are up in Northern QLD (ie. Townsville), your jeep will be tiny compared to some of the vehicles up there. As long as the tires don't stick out past the guards then you should be fine as they po-po understand that many places in QLD require some serious mods to even be able to drive some of the gazetted roads.
You are joking right. QLD is one of the strictest States for mods. I lived in Townsville for a while and got hassled for no mud flaps on stock 4x4.
Post New Thread  Reply