2001 Jeep XJ 2.5L TD Crank No start - Need Help! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-03-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2001 Jeep XJ 2.5L TD Crank No start - Need Help!

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Jeep 2.5l TD 60th anniversary edition.

What's Happened:

- Ran out of diesel
- Left for a while
- Flat battery, repeated attempts to jump start etc
- Several different mechanics over 3 years tried and gave up
- Diesel Fuel filter and housing / primer (In the engine bay on right with the plunger on top)
- Refurbished the Mechanical High Pressure Fuel Pump (Timing was done when re installed)
- Injectors have been bled however I am not sure how long ago this was
- The mechanic shop gave up on it and its sat for best part of a year
- I have been tasked with fixing it as it means a lot to the family.

- Unfortunately, I don't have diesel experience only petrol so please be kind aha.

Where we are at now:

- Crank No Start condition
- "No Bus message"
- No gauges operating properly (battery voltage gage, Fuel level etc)
- No coms from the PCM when using a Maxidas tablet loaned to me by a mechanic
- No results from injector test light
- 12v to the PCM appears good
- PCM was sent to Flagship One in the USA for a repair as I concluded it was this. They tested the PCM and said it passed and that there was no faults with it. Which is not the result I was expecting...

Tests I did before sending the PCM off for testing:

- I removed the CPS Sensor and the gauges did not start working like some suggested
- Tested the CPS using a multi meter on Ohms and a YouTube video and as far as I could tell it appeared to be in the "ok" bracket but happy to check again if a test procedure is recommended.
- Dashboard removed and connections checked... like new
- Using pin out diagrams I checked Voltage supply to the PCM and the grounds, however i discovered that a lot of the wiring is daisy chained, i assumed this is due to the jeep having the ASD system.
- Swapped the ASD with the Relay next to it that is the same and was recommended by many forum posts and YouTube videos
- Bench tested the relays in the engine bay fuse box and they were all fine
- This testing led me towards the PCM...
- As its 2001 it has the skim / code matching PCM's so this made it a lot harder to just swap in and out like some suggested.
- No one in the UK seemed to offer the repair and testing services so I sent to Flagship 1 and they confirmed that the PCM is functioning CORRECTLY.
- This was returned to me and now I am left banging my head against a wall as I need to fix this.

Before all this happened, the jeep was an amazing car. Never let us down, multiple trips from the UK to France and pulled a few people out of trouble on the rare occasions we had snow...

I would really apricate any:
Help
Advice
Ideas
Tests
It means a lot to the family and currently it sits in the garage un loved
Additionally, there are very few in the UK Registered and working, especially in the condition that mines in.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post.
Old 17-03-2021
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

You say gauges are not working. This maybe more than just gauges. Have you tried tow starting? If it has sat for a year or more it will need injectors bleeding. So bleed and then rry to tow start. If it will not tow start or even fire while towing you have a fuel problem.The VM425 has many applications in the UK. Rover,Alfa,Ford, road sweepers and more. We have several members from the UK on here. I am concerned that you have just been replacing things hoping the problem will go away. All the changes may have created more problems. There is a Facebook group for VM engines based in the EU, are you a member? If not join and ask questions.
Old 08-04-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

when i had a similar problem with mine (one day would start fine and gauges all good next start could crank the battery as flat as and no gauges next time would stop when doing 80kph)it was the crank angle sensor just in the top right hand(fuel pump ) side of the bell housing,
lead going into it went brittle and was making and breaking changed it and no probs since (do not get the petrol one (same part no. ) it wont fit )
mine has a provent filter from new, factory fittings brackets etc between right hand rear cylinder head and fuel filter and drains back into sump so no need to drain it.
Post New Thread  Reply