4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics! - Page 26 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancj10 View Post
hi guys ive just bought an xj & its fine on the road but when i went on the beach it got hot in the soft stuff didnt desperately overheat there was no boil over but it did shut down from what ive been reading here its a faulty cps i also looked on ebay & found an all alli rad that claims 30% better cooling has any body had any experience with these rads
cheers ian
Welcome to the forum.
What year and engine is your XJ?

Before the waterfall of advice on an overheating XJ is gonna break loose; what do you know regarding the maintenance history of your XJ, especially the cooling system?

Stop calling your car a "she". It's a car.
Old 03-11-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ

ok guys its a 96 4.0L as far as the cooling systems health goes i know it doesnt leak, visually its all fine, heater works,cap seems to seal ok,thermo is wired to a switch on the dash, clutch fan seems to function normally,trans cooler is still through the rad (thats gonna change)
i was in high on the beach maybe try low next time im just used to my cj10 it eats the sand in high
i also have a 97 & a 95 for parts
cheers ian
Old 03-11-2015
I just registered

as for the vehicles history i can tell it was well looked after for most of its life but in recent times has been treated roughly so at a guess at least 1 to 2 yrs of neglect
cheers ian
Old 03-11-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

Quote:
ok guys its a 96 4.0L as far as the cooling systems health goes i know it doesnt leak, visually its all fine, heater works,cap seems to seal ok,thermo is wired to a switch on the dash, clutch fan seems to function normally,trans cooler is still through the rad (thats gonna change)
i was in high on the beach maybe try low next time im just used to my cj10 it eats the sand in high
i also have a 97 & a 95 for parts
cheers ian
You have been planning this, haven't ye?

Quote:
as for the vehicles history i can tell it was well looked after for most of its life but in recent times has been treated roughly so at a guess at least 1 to 2 yrs of neglect
cheers ian
IMHO, investing in cooling system maintenance is likely one of the best things you can and should be doing for your XJ. They run on the virge of hot and with all cooling parts optimal, should be able to keep up with things. But there is not much room for error, since its tight and hot in that engine bay..
Driving in the sand will put the system to the test and towards its limits, and when there is a subpar condition than under normal driving would not give issues, it will bring it to the surface quickly. Be glad it didnt overheat, but take it as a warning shot and now is the time to prevent repeats.

So, with a second hand XJ, unless you have the receipts of the parts that were replaced, I'd treat it as in need of a thorough cooling system check/ refreshing. Give your radiator a good clean or even better, have it rodded/cleaned, get a new waterpump and viscous fan clutch (both parts are not overly expensive), think about a thermostat (OEM) and check hoses (squeeze them, if you can hear them crackle, it means the rubber is old and up for replacing). An aftermarket transmission oil cooler is a yes.

What does your coolant look like? Nice and green, or rusty brown?

Mine only overheated twice, years apart, and both under heaviest of circumstances, from which one was in soft sand (and yes, I think low might be preferred over Hi in soft sand, with an XJ)

There are many opinions on radiators, trans coolers etc etc But I'd start with the basics. A refreshed and proper working XJ cooling system should be able to deal with pretty much what you ask it to do under all circumstances.

CS maintenance, it's peace of mind. Just my 2 cnts, but that's because I hate having to keep an eye on that gauge in the right bottom corner every time I climb a hill on a hot day

Last edited by Roler; 03-11-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2015
I just registered

i doubt it has a thermostat after watching the gauges while i drove it around town today
but im going to get my cj10 back together before i open it up to investigate incase i open a can of worms
cheers ian
Old 05-11-2015
Jingle ALL the way...

Quote:
i doubt it has a thermostat after watching the gauges while i drove it around town today
but im going to get my cj10 back together before i open it up to investigate incase i open a can of worms
cheers ian
What did you notice on the gauge(s?)
No thermostat will give slow engine warm up..

If you have no thermostat indeed, I'd start from scratch because in that case the PO was likely trying to deal with a cooling issue and did the ol' no-thermo no-no

Old 05-11-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

It only takes a couple of mins to open up the thermostat housing to check the presence (or not) of the t/stat, I'd do this as a priority as engine wear is very pronounced without a t/stat...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply