KJ Fuel economy thread - Page 55 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-01-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
Ok, having checked fuel consumption over the holiday I decided to continue the check, and since coming back home I have done 661.8km on the odometer and used 73.51 litres, or 11.1/100. Seems high for a combination of going to work and back plus a trip down the Gold Coast.

Will keep the checks going for a bit.
I'd like mine to read like that Chris
Old 25-01-2013
Greying Nomad

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

If we assume that my odometer underreads by 1.9% (the difference between 235/70 tyres and 245/70) the consumption drops to 10.9/100 - which sounds a lot better than 11.1!

I'd check the odometer against the GPS if it wasn't for all the tunnels I go through each day - maybe I'll remember next time I do a long trip.
Old 08-04-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: KJ Fuel economy thread

The absolute best I've done on my V6 with 245 70 16 tires is 10.7l 100km on the open road at 90/100 kph. Average driving is about 11.9 - 13.1 depending on speed.
Kumho KL78 245/70/16 AT
Old 08-04-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

City driving in Sydney and western Sydney I'm sitting at 14's it just drop to 11's on the way up the coast
Old 08-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Average for the last 3 months has been 14.9 and for the life of the car for the last 3 yrs (880 Days) has been 14.56 L/100KM Still on stock ratio's and tyre sizes. My minimum fuel usage has been recorded at 7.56 L/100KM and Maximum has been 18.74 L / 100KM.

In that time i have put 9295.05 L of petrol in with the average fill up price being $1.45 per L.

My favourite figure though is i get 4.74 KM per dollar i put into the car. Not including things like servicing and tyres.

I plug all my fuel figures, and the like into my phone so i can track it all for Tax time.
Old 10-04-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I won't complain about my figures then: Just towed a tractor(1.5t +) on a car trailer from Bris to Gatton, then towed the trailer back to Bris. Total fill to fill from the same garage was a true 10.1 l/100k over 359km, sitting at 85-90 kmh with GDE Hot tune + LPG turned on! The evic indicated 8.7, but I took the figures off my gps. The LPG really comes into its own under load, but seems redundant when just cruising. It's not unusual to get about 8-8.5 l/100k with normal driving
Old 27-04-2013
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Just back from my two week tour through outback NSW. Aside from the transit stages most of the time was on dirt tracks from the south Darling River, Mungo NP, Pooncarie up to Lake Minindee area, Silverton, White Cliffs, Wilcannia to Tilpa, Louth, and Bourke.

I was towing the camper trailer and with it's high profile (sticks up over the back of the KJ) it was an obvious air dam some of the time. However, on the rough tracks from Balranald to Minindee, and track from the Silver City Highway to White Cliffs, and the rest of the Darling track where speed is rarely more than 80kmph on the best sections, air drag was less of a factor.

I used a total of 406Ls on the trip with typical tank fill figures of (L/100kms):

22.28 ** something wrong with this one, I think I didn't factor the jerry can top up properly.
10.55 * Silverton day trip not towing
the last tank figure is missing because I haven't refilled it yet. I suspect the last leg from Dubbo to Lake Mac was in the 12s as I had a good tailwind.

Best towing fuel economy happens when on paved transit sections when staying in 4th gear at 90kmph which gave the 13 figures.

Vehicle configuration is GDE Full-torque tune and the GDE Transmission Tune, and I was running my big tyres for this trip (Cooper STTs 255/70 16s on the 16x8" Mamba rims). Despite the GDE tune additional KWs and torque, the gearing effect of the larger tyres was negating the additional power. I know from previous towing trips with my Bridgestone D694s (245/70s on stock alloys) that I can get 11 and 12s when the camper is attached (on the pavement). I found myself turning overdrive off a fair bit to gain extra push on hills and such.

You can see the figures from the Silverton day trip figures, where the camper was left at Broken Hill, that figures in the 10s are achieved even with the larger wheels and tyres and roof rack.

Another KJ CRD on thd trip, also towing a camper got figures similiar to alittle better than mine. A modified JK petrol towing a camper got 22s everywhere due to the high lift and 37" tyres - he also had the most mechanical problems - steering damper failure, loose track bars, etc

Last edited by glend; 27-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply