Banning lifts with stability control - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

So if you have an AEV EGR module fitted that corrects the ESC they still won't accept it because its not OM unless you find an engineering signatory to sign off which sounds unlikely.

Can anyone tell me how JK's with 35" tyres and 4" lifts have been signed off by an engineering signatory all over Australia. Do they just ignore the ESC component or accept the swerve test as meeting the criteria?

Or is a case of certifying the whole vehicle and not specifying ESC.
Old 09-09-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Qld Police defecting lifter 4WDs

If in Qld make sure your lift is legal of have an engineer's cert...Watch this in the lifted 4WD blitz Gold Coast:

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsGoldCo...6658463605060/

Last edited by Wanderer; 10-09-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2018

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
So fvking the Australian car manufacturing wasn't enough, now they are going to kill the aftermarket industry as well.
Vote liberal.
Huh? It was Hockey/Abbott that called the The Aussie manufacturers bluff, but they didn’t blink... didn’t help that the manufacturers mostly kept wheeling out cars that people were buying less and less of every year, but it was a Lib Government that drove the final nail in.

Maybe if they made coal-powered cars they’d have received a lot more support from the Federal government...
Old 10-09-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 798 Times in 449 Posts

Interesting reading.Have been travelling out west and central Qld last 3 weeks in the WH and towing the Jayco Journey Outback and have seen numerous 4x4 vehicles with probably 2 inch lifts with everything but the kitchen sink on the racks.Plus a couple of slide on campers that were Like sky scrapers.Stability and high cg is a problem with these and overloaded racks.Also I was informed only yesterday that Qld was going to require van owners to have weighbridge certificates for both van and vehicle by 2020.Huge number of overweight units on the road.
Of course the diabolical state of Qld sealed roads would probably negate any Esc !, anyway!
Old 10-09-2018
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Previous owner had a 75mm lift on the jeep I picked up. Decided to get some shorter rear springs for my JK and bring it back down to 40-45mm - engineering cert cost was more than new rims and tires combined. Isn't worth the trouble and will just make sure the underside of the jeep is armored up for any extra dragging.

Seems like every fifth pickup I see here has chunky tires and a lift - a good many of those are over the 2" limited by law and doubtful they're certified. Maybe because they're pretty mall crawlers they don't get the business? No judgment, to each their own.

Coming from the US I am just floored by the restrictions here. I get the angle they are coming from - safety for you and others on the road, but 50mm lift/track width/etc is just wild. 50mm isn't even a pinky finger! The Jeep is legal, but doesn't mean I have to be happy about it!

Last edited by relwell; 10-09-2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 10-09-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Interesting reading.Have been travelling out west and central Qld last 3 weeks in the WH and towing the Jayco Journey Outback and have seen numerous 4x4 vehicles with probably 2 inch lifts with everything but the kitchen sink on the racks.Plus a couple of slide on campers that were Like sky scrapers.Stability and high cg is a problem with these and overloaded racks.Also I was informed only yesterday that Qld was going to require van owners to have weighbridge certificates for both van and vehicle by 2020.Huge number of overweight units on the road.
Of course the diabolical state of Qld sealed roads would probably negate any Esc !, anyway!
The inconsistent application of the traffic laws are obvious..What ever is the current whim, is how they are often applied....I see so many rigs on the road, having just done 10,500km on my last outback trip, eg: road trains with 4 trailers and the rear swaying all over the road, vehicles obviously way above the GVM & GCM towing and then there is speed limits...100km/h (legal) on some of the worst dirt & narrow seal rough roads in the country (QLD) and then 80 or 90 on sealed roads capable of safely doing 180km/h (130km/h legal in the NT)..Most modern vehicles are safe at high speed (many drivers may not though)...Once there was campaign to outlaw bullbars (Harold Scrubby aka PCA) & now it is lifts and tyres (bureaucrats) and of course Quadra Lift air suspension can raise the vehicle to 2.6" above normal or about 4" above park so what happens if you are crawling along in OR2 at below the auto lowering speed limit and get pulled up??...FCA say the vehicle is stable at that height and speed. Maybe that Quadra Lift is what you buy now to circumvent the restricted (dubious) legal lift laws..Wonder if the police have all the standard height of the numerous 4WDs on the roads to determine if the vehicle is illegally lifted or is it subjective (guilty first and need to prove otherwise like all traffic infringement)..And then there is of course tyres not the same as the placard eg LT rated instead of P rates as on the placard - size etc..And on the inconsistancies go....And the differences between states..Legal in one and not in another...Is this a country or just a collection of states??..Yes there is a NCOP but states can & do vary to suit their own turf...Don't start me on bicycles and the laws there like legal to cross double lines if passing a bicycle otherwise a traffic infringement … Aren't double line there to say dangerous at anytime to pass??..See what I mean.

Last edited by Wanderer; 10-09-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Bureaucratic Elitism

So the VSB's were changed by bureaucrats without notice
Usually politicians go through the whole public consultation (outcry) process
This is really getting up our noses.
Faceless filth hiding behind public service privilege.

Anyway, draft proposals have been released by the TMR.
That's right, after they have already changed the VSB's.
Only now does the TMR begin to follow the democratic process.

The draft quite clearly states vehicles fitted with ESC must continue to comply;

"If you cannot conduct the required ESC and lane change testing,
you must not certify the modification unless you have evidence
from the vehicle manufacturer, which includes the VIN number"