HPFP Recall in the US - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-05-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Yep, that's why you never put your finger over the end of an injector line to see if fuel is coming out, straight into your blood stream, then its good night Irene

For those who are interested in a bit of a write up re; the HPFP this is from US Jeep Garage forum dating back to 2015, fault pointing to their Ultra Low Sulphur, low lubricity
https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/b...bricity.88799/

I've used this in the past, suppose to be good at lubricating the pump, think I might keep using it especially when on sale @ Supercheap

https://www.flashlube.com/products/d...el-conditioner
Old 14-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It makes u wonder why the fprelay was never fixed properly if intermittent fuel delivery causes these failures. If I was Bosch I’d be telling FCA to piss off it’s your fuel delivery causing these problems

The filter is under the M Prop solenoid on top of the hp pump, take it off and the filter is there. You can use a syringe to extract the fuel out and check for metal, I have done mine. Don’t let any dirt in

Jeep seems to have stalling issues on a number of vehicles especially the Cherokee, google it.

I believe the new land cruiser diesel gets up to 40,000 psi
Old 15-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
28,000 PSI!??!?!?!? Holy hell
Can be higher thats why with any CRD you don't go anywhere near the injectors even the LP fuel line is high enough to be dangerous and releasing pressure on fuel lines be they diesel or petrol is most important now, has been for a few decades really, with the advent of electronic ignition on petrol you don't play with plugs lead or any ignition units as they can be like playing with power lines, very deadly, even after shut down without proper precautions being taken ...........

Back on topic yesterday I read there are about 4 million CP4.1 and CP4.2 pumps in the world and all the reports stemming from 10 years ago point to fuel being aerated from starvation or low pressure causing air bubbles which diminish the lubrication which cause the piston to spin and in turn wear from lack of lube, the particles then help to make more wear, screen gets clogged, pressure drops and if/when screen lets go the bits go into injectors, return line back to tank and everything stops and in some cases the pump internals fall apart.... My take on it is in relation to our vehicles is correct priming after filter change with filter changed @10K km and maybe a lube additive should mean a trouble free run, our fuel has better lube qualities than the USA thankfully .............. Is your mechanic priming and filter changing correctly thats the question ...............

Why I have turned ignition ON about 6 or 7 times after doing a filter change to make sure the pump has primed the system before putting foot on brake and firing it up ... while I have never really cared for fuel additives I might be getting a bottle next time in town to add some extra lube, don't think 2 stroke would be liked by the DPF so will use a commercial job.

It should be noted that dry cranking any CRD is bad news for the HPFP no matter what the brand they just cannot run without fuel/lube in them ...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 1 Week Ago
CrawlerStar

Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I know I am joining this discussion quite late but are there any updates on this in terms of anyone actually getting FCA to swap out these bad pumps? Has anyone been successful? Like everyone else's mine's on the list too! Should I be emailing/calling FCA or a Jeep dealer to get an update on this for my car?

Also the biggest question is should I be worried and/or need to do certain things to prolong the pump I have? I mostly fill up with BP ultimate diesel as the first preference (I know it is expensive and probably not worth it) and when not available any premium grade from another brand. So far been good touchwood.

Last edited by vijith555; 1 Week Ago at 05:07 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

There has been a few reported recalls performed.
Your search on the MOPAR Site with your VIN gives you up to date info on tge availbility.
You must have registered yourself as the Owner of the vehicle, your address being priority, to receive recall notices from FCA.
You find the 'Change of Ownership' slip in your Glovebox Manual.
No extra care required to ensure longevity of current pumps.
Suggest:
Ensure system is primed prior starting, especially after Fuel Filter changes.
Keep regular Fuel filter services in place...10k cycles are sufficient, however, if you 'fill' in remote areas or at a Site you are 'uncomfortable' with then a Filter change wont hurt.
Can use a 'Fuel Lubricant' but thats a 'maybe it works' situation.
Remember the U.S. has many more Grades of Diesel and 'dirty fuel' or fuel with 'other additives' will create issues with ANY Fuel pump.
Chill.....shit duz happen but you would have to be VERY unlucky to suffer catosphoric failure.
Millions of these Pumps in use Globally.....reason for HIGH concern is the Insurance Culpability placed on FCA/Stellantis should a 'shrewd and litigious' owner suffer the terminal failure with the 'worst case scenario' outcome.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 1 Week Ago
CrawlerStar

Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
There has been a few reported recalls performed.
Your search on the MOPAR Site with your VIN gives you up to date info on tge availbility.
You must have registered yourself as the Owner of the vehicle, your address being priority, to receive recall notices from FCA.
You find the 'Change of Ownership' slip in your Glovebox Manual.
No extra care required to ensure longevity of current pumps.
Suggest:
Ensure system is primed prior starting, especially after Fuel Filter changes.
Keep regular Fuel filter services in place...10k cycles are sufficient, however, if you 'fill' in remote areas or at a Site you are 'uncomfortable' with then a Filter change wont hurt.
Can use a 'Fuel Lubricant' but thats a 'maybe it works' situation.
Remember the U.S. has many more Grades of Diesel and 'dirty fuel' or fuel with 'other additives' will create issues with ANY Fuel pump.
Chill.....shit duz happen but you would have to be VERY unlucky to suffer catosphoric failure.
Millions of these Pumps in use Globally.....reason for HIGH concern is the Insurance Culpability placed on FCA/Stellantis should a 'shrewd and litigious' owner suffer the terminal failure with the 'worst case scenario' outcome.
I’ve already done the sending of ownership form to Jeep/FCA when I got this Jeep so hopefully it’s up to date on their system.

Tempted to send an email and see if I get a response…

Will definitely try to do the fuel filter changes more often from now on..

Didn’t know the diesel fuel had so much variation in the US compared to us..
Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,323 Times in 761 Posts

Huge differences in whats for sale in the States and what we get, even as a base fuel, here in Oz.
Check out some US Jeep Sites for more details.
There are also LOTS of U Tube clips regards the Bosch CP-4 Diesel Fuel Pump...thats some viewing to check out.....Sites that arent specifically talking about our Product, but relate directly to the Bosch pump.
ENJOY !!!

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply