HPFP Recall in the US - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-06-2022
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I imagine the recall and the article are (as usual) aimed at the U.S market i.e. in their eyes nothing existed before 2014, and the 11-13 exports slip under the radar. So it's more logical to assume that the earlier exports will be similarly affected.

All GC have told me in the past that there's an important priming procedure to follow after replacing fuel filters or draining the water separator, or obviously any other fuel system work being carried out. Having read the article that now makes sense.

In day to day driving I doubt any of us waits the 5-10 secs for priming after the light goes out, I've always thought it ok to start when the light disappears. Might change that habit now, if the pump is working alright at present then it can only help to preserve it from more unnecessary wear by doing the priming.

Good article, thanks Drover.
Old 17-06-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wouldn’t worry to much about every day starts and priming as there will be fuel (lubricant) in the pump but after filter changes, yes. It’s got nothing to do with lubrication this failure just poor design

I pulled a failed one apart for a diesel mechanic mate and one of the cams was scored right around and the roller (not ball) was 90 degrees running in the groove it had created around the cam lobe. So probably happens as the engine is shut off or just starting up because when running it wouldn’t have time to turn sideways at tdc/bdc. Just unlucky if it happens to you and if it does it will run just fine till the metal debris clogs the filter gauze or that breaks and a shit load of damage is done. That’s the trick if you pull the M Prop solenoid off and look at the filter and it is clogged and not broken then might just be a pump you need

That filter is located between the low pressure side to the high pressure pistons. Under the M Prop solenoid

I have looked at mine, easy to do, and there was a couple of glints of metal in the filter housing which concerned me but that was 50,000 k’s ago so probably all good however if there is a bit of metal in there then wtf

Funny thing is roller cam followers on head valve trains normally have keepers to stop them turning 90 degrees so go figure why Bosch didn’t use them on this pump

Last edited by Treebreakerbob; 17-06-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 17-06-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
I imagine the recall and the article are (as usual) aimed at the U.S market i.e. in their eyes nothing existed before 2014, and the 11-13 exports slip under the radar. So it's more logical to assume that the earlier exports will be similarly affected.

All GC have told me in the past that there's an important priming procedure to follow after replacing fuel filters or draining the water separator, or obviously any other fuel system work being carried out. Having read the article that now makes sense.

In day to day driving I doubt any of us waits the 5-10 secs for priming after the light goes out, I've always thought it ok to start when the light disappears. Might change that habit now, if the pump is working alright at present then it can only help to preserve it from more unnecessary wear by doing the priming.

Good article, thanks Drover.
Only thing is push button start then it should be programmed into the start procedure to wait till low pressure fuel has come up before continuing to start, like the delay for glow plugs when really cold, so makes fca still at fault

Probably doesn’t help when the fuel pump relay stops fuel delivery? Bugger, sorry hope that thought doesn’t keep u up at night

Bob
Old 17-06-2022
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
...... Bugger, sorry hope that thought doesn’t keep u up at night

Bob
Doubt it mate, at that rate wouldn't have slept for years. If it wasn't this it'd be something else - bloody cars
Old 18-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Way back in the WG days the 2.7 CRD was known to suffer HPFP probllems, they would just wear out, which I put down to the apprentice trying to prime the system with the starter, too many dry runs for pump killed it... I changed my fuel filter system so priming was easier.

Anyway with the WK2 and button start, it delays long enough to ensure prime on normal starts, when I do the filters I hit the run button with foot off the brake about 8 times, can hear the pump whirring and starts first go, I then let it run for awhile to make sure no air bubbles left .............. It does make me all the more compelled to stay with my fuel filter change every 10K kms, since my air,fuel, oil filter buy is only $100, small price to pay, means the basic 10K km service is under $200........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-06-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,148 Times in 608 Posts

Same here...when i change fuel filters I allow the system to fully prime by hitting the button to "run" only not start a few times...as Drover wrote you can hear the fuel pump whirring...
Old 18-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,947 Times in 2,329 Posts

Bit of additional info here;
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/J...UV/4WD#recalls

If you scroll down to the 3 Associted Documents you will find them in PDF as a description.............

QUOTE: from one of the documents ...................

Some 2014-2020 MY Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.0L diesel
engine may have been built with a high pressure fuel pump ("HPFP") that could fail
prematurely.
The suspect period began on December 19, 2012, when 3.0L Diesel engines with
suspect HPFPs were introduced into vehicle production, and ended on October 13,
2019, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect HPFPs were no longer used in vehicle
production.

UNQUOTE:
Note diesel Grands only in US from 14 but it does show 12 as the year start of problem....yank document.

Looking at earlier recalls in Australia are delayed I expect a similar recall for us about this time next year at the earliest..... should be noted the US expects to commence the recall OCT next year........ so no need to panic as this pump has failed on other vehicles and it does seem its a small percentage of failures which by my reading seems to be from bad maintenance procedures being a cause... but thats just my take after reading GM and some other briefs.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply