JK: 6.4 Hemi - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default JK: 6.4 Hemi

Well I'm getting close to half way through this install and thought a few may want to see what the process involves. Its a bit slow as I work away

First stage is to get this 6.4 mated to a 6 speed manual and 4 speed atlas transfer case squeezed in and engineered. Once passed there will be a few mods done to the engine, in no hurry at the moment as the tuning hasn't been cracked yet.

Second stage I'm waiting on my super 14 bolt axles to be built by Torq axles.

Third stage is lift and roll cage. Haven't fully made my mind up here but looks like I'm going to use rock krawler reverse triangulated rear, poly or rock krawler front 5 link all on 14 inch coilovers and air bumps. Don't really want to go much more then 3 inch. My tyres arrived quite early, but these will be mounted to trail ready beadlocks

Next to me mums car

Those are 37's but may go bigger

Roll cage is going to be done by someone else which will be cams approved.

All arrived on 2 pallets

Checking everything there

Specky engine

Transfer case 11.70:1

Ripping the front apart

Pretty straight forward

Cut and grind old mounts

New ones welded on. My welding ain't the prettiest (first time I welded actually) but it'll hold

Trans cross member. Upgraded heavy duty from poison spider

Wack on some paint (sorry about the shaky hands)

And thats it for now. Hopefully tomorrow I can mate the engine and gearbox and wire her up. Monday I've got Enzed coming round to make some fuel lines, brake lines and clutch line, hopefully I can relocate the steering as well.
Old 28-07-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nice work mate
Old 28-07-2012
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bogan View Post
Wack on some paint (sorry about the shaky hands)
Could that be because your either happy to be finally fitting a HEMI or stoked to be rid of the POS factory 6. Hell man, I'd be shaking like a epileptic in a discotheque if I was fitting a HEMI in my bus..

Well done on posting the progress, will be keeping an eye on it.
Old 28-07-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't wait to see final process and how much it costs you in the end seriously thinking of going this route also
Old 31-07-2012
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodxj View Post
Could that be because your either happy to be finally fitting a HEMI or stoked to be rid of the POS factory 6. Hell man, I'd be shaking like a epileptic in a discotheque if I was fitting a HEMI in my bus..

Well done on posting the progress, will be keeping an eye on it.
Haha yeh I think I'm gonna have to post a vid of the new beast doing a burnout on top of the old 6 banger.

Slow progress and no exciting pics. Relocated the steering and modified firewall. Trial fitted the wiring harness and looks like a few mods will need to be done. Hose guy didn't come as he was sure he wouldn't have those plastic fuel connections. So my next quest is to find out what they are called and where I can get them. I'm changing the fuel tank ones out, but the lines going to the filter or sensor of some sort, obviously need to be kept with the stock connections.
Also removed the spacer ring on the crank to fit the pilot bearing, that was a complete bastard and got a new thrust bearing from the stealership.
A few parts from the old engine transfer over like the clutch fork, dip stick, fuel lines ect..

Won't be any progress until I get back in a couple of weeks, but it looks like I will be getting the engine in once I can find those fuel connections and lines made up. Then I'll tackle the transfer case. I might do a detailed write up for that, as this part can be installed on stock motors and I'm just as excited about this part as my hemi.

As for costs dirt33 it hurts. Getting the hemi, gearbox, installation kit (includes radiator, motor accessories, hoses, mounts, exhaust ect...) and transfer case to your door is about $30k. These axles are going to be $25k (dana 60 are about the same price if you go full float, currie are a bit cheaper) and Im expecting the lift to cost around $10k but that includes fuel tank relocation and few other bits n pieces, plus the roll cage?? 3 to 5 thousand? Gods knows how much it'll cost if you got someone else to do it.
I'm by no means a rich bogan. This has taken over 5 years to set aside the money plus since I was a kid I have always wanted to heavily modify a car or Jeep. So completing one life ambition is worth more then what I've spent.

Its definitely a good route to go weather hemi or chevy. They really should've made this a factory option, the amount of blokes in the states that convert is staggering and its picking up over here to which is good to see. I can't wait for JK07 chevy conversion to finish, that'll be a beast of a thing
Old 31-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dude, thats insaine!!!! i cant wait to see the progress.....

are oyu going to comp it?

will it be engineered?

this has the makings of one of the toughest jk's in the land.......
Old 31-07-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

The fuel line disconnects can be sourced at any good tool supplyer
I brought to sets last week Fuel & AC, 6 different sizes in each set for
about $60.00 great inverstment, also use the same type of fitting on xj transmission line to radaitor. Nice build dude
Post New Thread  Reply