jeep cherokee 96 electrical fault - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-07-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default jeep cherokee 96 electrical fault

So i have recently got myself a jeep cherokee grand limited 6cl 4.0L 96 mod, really nice looking and comfy car. though i only use it on weekends, if i leave the car sitting in the garage and dont start her up atleast once a day i find that the battery dies on me, is this normal with this model ? im thinking that its not. though im not getting any fault codes or lights flashing on my dash to let me know that there is a fault, so as far as the car knows its all ok. what is a fast and easy way to find a possible short or battery power leak problem in my car. i also have been on the look out for a good jeep mechanic in my area and have not had any luck, i live in the wetherill park NSW sydney area and would be very happy to find one close to me.
Old 19-07-2009
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Have you checked your battery? Mine sits for months on end and no problems, But its an optima red top. Dont know of any inherent power problems, have you check that all door,hood and glove box lights go out? Btw is it a Jeep Cherokee or a Jeep Grand Cherokee? Try Arb, jion Sydney jeep club http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/index.php
Old 20-07-2009
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the info though i have had the bettery changed, and i too thought that it could be the lights left on issue though it is not that. i really dont know where to go from here as its something i cant get my head around as too what it could be.
Old 20-07-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Under bonnet light? Its kinda small yet might do it.
Old 20-07-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How long is it being driven for each weekend, a battery can take hours to charge up fully after being completely flat.

Is it a deep cycle battery or standard as stadard batteries don't like being cycled to often before they give up.

Have you check to see if you Alternator is working properly.
I have heard that a poorly tensioned fan belt can have an effect on charging.

A mate of mine has similar issues with his hilux so he bought a 5w solar trickle charger from the local 12volt shop that sits on the dash (not water proof) when the car isn't in use.

Just throwing some stuff out there,
Good luck hope you get it sorted out

Last edited by Festa_1; 20-07-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Electrical faults can be hard to find. I got a behind dashboard fault thats freeking me out. Some how the timer for the interior light delay is controlling the auto headlights out......even with the headlight switch rewired!

But not all the time. Only when the XJ is pointing in the direction of the rotation of the earth. On days of the week it decides for itself!

And.....a trickle charger is a good idea but the problem lays elsewhere. Check you battery for current flow with everything switched off.
And remember lead acid batteries don't last forever. Consider a AGL replacement with extra capacity from one of the good suppliers.
Old 04-08-2009
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Hi When I have trouble like this I disconect the +ve set the multmeter (cost <$20) to amps and put it in series between the +ve terminal and the terminal conector, now look at and write down the amprage draw with every thing off.
Then pull out every fuse one at a time looking to see if the draw drops if you do get a drop write it down, keep going till you get 0 amps.
Now you will have a list of which circuts are drawing current while "off" and how many amps each of the circuts are drawing.
Post the results here and we will see what everyone thinks/ can help.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Post New Thread  Reply