Originally Posted by TRA1LHAWK
I contacted the supplier of the seat covers I listed.
This is there response regarding air bag compatability.
"All our front seat covers have side burst seams. In addition, standard front seat covers, such as in this listing, also leave the side panels partially open."
G'day TRA1LHAWK thank you for the link to the seatcovers you recommended. I learnt a few things along the way as I fitted them:
The included instructions advised that the headrest needed to be removed to allow the seatcovers to be fitted. No worries I thought, I've got this. I left the covers in the box and went to work on the front seat headrests.
Not.so.fast Mr Jeep had other ideas! Firstly to take the headrest all the way out (higher than the usual adjustment will allow) you will need a paperclip. This paperclip is inserted into a tiny hole in the plastic surround of the headrest post receiver at the top of the seat, the one that doesn't have the normal height adjustment "latch".
Then comes surprise #2, there is an electrical lead running through the headrest post that operates the active headrest (crash) function. Clearly this will need to be disconnected, that should be easy eh?
Not.so.fast Mr Jeep had other ideas! To disconnect the wire in question turns out you need to partially remove the plastic on the back of the seat. Not as easy as you may think. Some careful, slightly forceful pulling will actually unfasten a clip each side roughly half way down the plastic and allow the plastic to come partially away from the seat. This will then give you access to the next two clips (which will of course need to be undone to allow room to disconnect the headrest plug). Flushed with success from having undone the first two clips these next two clips should be a snap to you, "The Clip Master".
Not.so.fast Mr Jeep had other ideas! To mix it up a little these two clips are some sort of demonic plastic/metal work of Satan. I finally worked out that to undo them I had to snarl at my wife a few times to keep the torch shining where I could see the clips and then push each one fairly significantly inward and downward to release them.
Progress was slowed at this point as, far from sharing my joy and relief, my wife seemed mysteriously upset. Fortunately she is very forgiving and after a suitable period of time and apologies she again took up job illumination duties and the headrest plug was finally undone and the first headrest freed! Now I could finally start to put the seatcovers on.
Not.so.fast Mr Dingo Trails had a surprise for me! instead of having two neat, smallish reinforced holes at the top of the seatcover (as shown in the high quality photo in the instructions) to allow the headrest posts to neatly pass through, there was a larger slot of a size sufficient to pass over the headrest.
All that for nothing! Well my wife thought it was pretty funny and no amount of pointing to the instructions allowed me to claw back any credibility.
So.....reconnected the headrest plug, refitted the headrest and returned the plastic back of the seat into place.
The rest of fitting the seatcovers was very simple with a great fit and looks.
Lesson learnt: never read the instructions.
PS I went to the garage to admire them again after dinner and adjusted them a little to allow the seat back to mould in better and.......the seam stitching came undone. Silent.burning.rage.
I'll see if I can get it sewn up at work and touch base with Dingo Trails about it and decide which way to go. I'm going to bed.