Hand winch for incline assistance? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Expert Tips
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-05-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I understand that pics dont show how steep things are, but if you are walking that you can drive it as others have said.

If you want a hand winch do it properly:
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/302094884813?chn=ps

Years ago I had a Lada Niva with one of these - got me out of all kinds of crap. More useful than a mountedx winch - you can winch sideways, backwards, anywhere.

BUT, seriously a lot of work.
Yeah, you're probably right. However, I would reconsider if I should buy a winch like in your link, or add some money and just buy a mounted winch..

Wow, a Lada Niva! Even where I live (Northern Europe) these were not that common, I can't imagine one Down Under!
Old 14-05-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 95 Times in 68 Posts

After the type of "Tirfor" style winch mentioned by dru, A set of traction aids to get moving if stopped on the slippery track part would be a good investment IMHO, but as Big Dave and others here have said, you should be able to drive up that no real worries, with lower tyre pressures. If you were carrying stuff while walking down without dramas, driving up should be possible, maybe a little hairy if wet. I think you'll be amazed at what your vehicle can do and suggest some 4wd training or trips with experienced 4wders so you can really get out there with it, ...and save for a winch and recovery gear if going solo. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Enjoy the outdoors in your nice looking rig and be safe

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

"Dr. says I need a backiotomy!"
Old 14-05-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

The winch story is a long and complex one:

Hand winches are not only hard work they are really messy, packing up that wire rope with mud all over it and you'll need to spray WD40 on your wire rope to protect it from moisture damage - that should get your WJ smelling like a workhorse. On the up side, a hand winch can do things a fixed electric winch cannot, like winching out backward and stabilising a tipping vehicle, a must if travelling alone.

Electric winches however practical need servicing and maintaining just like you car does, it's not a "fit and forget" accessory; wire rope needs to be cleaned with WD40, synthetic washed in detergent if dirt, the internals should be serviced every few years regardless of how often it's used and synthetic must be replaced, it depreciates far quicker then wire rope that can last up to ten years if treated well. Then you need to think about your battery, it it's not up for the task you might find yourself out for the night.

As for the come-along, don't risk your life (much less your car), pissing around with equipment not designed for the job at hand and a hi lift with drag chain make a hand winch look like a holiday.

Walking down that track without the experience and equipment to recover your sweet Jeep was the right choice.
Old 14-05-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes, Struth, I also feel that I'm not that excited about maintaining the mounted electric winch, since I would only need it super rarely, plus this Jeep is a daily driver. I would rather just pack a hand winch when I'm going to a fishing trip, then clean/dry it when I get back and set aside for another time.

I guess this – More Power Puller might be the best option. I like that there is a synthetic cable version and there is up to 10m of rope, unlike the come-along.
Old 15-05-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Your money would probably be better off spent on a set of recovery tracks like Maxtrax, Treds etc.

These light weight recovery boards will get you out of 99% of situations when bogged. Even the cheap ones from ebay work.

https://www.maxtrax.com.au/

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 15-05-2018
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That More Power Puller wouldn't pull skin off custard up hill! The ratings they give for them is on flat ground with no resistance. No way would it pull a 2t vehicle up that hill. Better off spending the money on a proper hand winch.
Old 15-05-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domaso View Post
Yes, Struth, I also feel that I'm not that excited about maintaining the mounted electric winch, since I would only need it super rarely, plus this Jeep is a daily driver. I would rather just pack a hand winch when I'm going to a fishing trip, then clean/dry it when I get back and set aside for another time.

I guess this – More Power Puller might be the best option. I like that there is a synthetic cable version and there is up to 10m of rope, unlike the come-along.
Recovery boards + off road training..