Adding a Commander to the Garage: A Couple of Questions... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Question Adding a Commander to the Garage: A Couple of Questions...

Hey all.

I have been searching for a replacement for my trusty 1999 WJ V8 Grand Cherokee for a while now as it's getting pretty long in the tooth and as it's on petrol/LPG it's getting expensive to run out here in the Wild West ($1.10 for LPG!).

My wife and I have pretty much settled on a XH Commander CRD. I was originally looking for a WH Grand Cherokee CRD (and I'd still be happy with one), however we found that the luggage space was no upgrade on my WJ and my wife wasn't all that impressed with the interior/features. We took a couple of CRD Commanders for a spin and we loved the smooth, torquey engine, extra luggage space and the extra standard features.

The two we have driven so far have both been the standard Commander (the Sport?) with the cloth interior, basic A/C system, no memory/heated seats etc. however we still found them to be very comfortable and both came with the sunroof pack as well which was nice. We haven't looked at a Limited yet, but from what I can tell, the main upgrades are leather interior, dual-zone climate control, electric memory/heated seats, premium sound, wood grain and chrome inserts. Is that about all the difference is? I really like the leather and dual-zone climate control in my WJ, but if they are the main differences then I suppose I wouldn't be sacrificing much if I don't get a Limited. Has anyone here had or researched both and can tell me if I'm missing anything?

I'm looking to use this car as my daily driver, off-road/beach machine and touring vehicle to tow our 1.5t camper trailer, so the plan at this stage is to set it up with a 2-2.5" lift, 265/70 R17 aggressive all-terrains or muddies, roof rack/awning, rear storage box and fridge slide (remove the 3rd row seats) and possibly some bar work. I am also planning on fitting a GDE Eco tune and Provent to prevent the dreaded black gunk and keep it in good stead for the future. I'm looking at some with around 100,000-150,000km on the clock at the moment.

I would love to go down the 4" Superlift route, but the Minister for War & Finance will not be up for it at this stage.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions to offer to help me with my decision before I pull the trigger on one over the next month or so, please feel free to add them. It would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 07-12-2014
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

You've pretty much summed up the differences between regular and Limited Commanders. There may be something else I'm forgetting. I went with a Limited as I wanted leather, but if you are looking at upgrading the stereo, the regular will be a little easier to do.

On any CRD Commanders you look at, check when/if the swirl motor has been replaced. Mine was replaced before I picked it up. If you can't tell, it might be worth doing the resistor mod once you pick it up (google it). The turbo failed on my CRD at about 140,000kms but from all of the research I've done this is a one in a million failure for this engine. Fortunately I negotiated a little extra for a platinum warranty with the dealer so I haven't paid a cent for any repairs yet.

Check if it has had the N23 Recall (again google it) performed (you can search with the VIN on the Chrysler website). Failing that make sure you engage low range in anything you test drive. Apparently Fiat Chrysler have released a firmware update that may have solved it, but I decline the recall every time I get it serviced and will continue to do so until it can be confirmed that they've finally got it right.

Those tyres you're looking to fit will probably require some trimming of the rear inner guard and folding of the pinch weld to fit. Other than that, the quadratrac 2 4WD system is one of the best stock set ups ever made so with the mods you've mentioned you'll have a potent offroader.

Just check out multihull's videos here and on youtube for evidence of what these things can do with a few simple mods.
Old 07-12-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

x2 everything Frank mentioned about the differences. I have a 65th Anniv. which comes with a few more extras then the standard Commander.

Check that it has (or hasn't) had the recall for the T-case done, and if it hasn't, DO NOT BOTHER getting it done - it really doesn't affect Australian models.

When & if you buy one, have a good look at the sun roof, even just blow out the drains as after a while they do clog up and they end up leaking back into the inside of the car. I had mine pulled out and serviced about 3mths after I bought mine.

As for the tyre situation, you will get 265/70R17's on there with minor rubbing on full lock - I solved that problem by not running the wheel right around when turning

As you know, I have the Maniac front & rear bars coming for mine, so you will get an idea soon on what bar work will look like - however, start saving your pennies

As for the lift, I run a 2" OME set up at the moment with Poly Air's in the back, its good now as it sits, great for touring & towing - however I am looking at getting some custom springs made to take the added weight a bit more height, but I am yet to spend more time researching what else may need doing to get that extra inch I want.

Otherwise, just get out there and enjoy it! You will definately have one of the best all-round Jeeps ever built - plenty of space, plenty of mumbo, and a very capable 4wd!

Old 07-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Thanks guys.

I did read about your turbo failure Frank, a bit worrying, however as you say it was one in a million so probably just unlucky. I would like to find a good Limited at the right price, but there seems to be so many more standard Commanders around with lowish kms for a steal. Stereo upgrade doesn't worry me too much as I already have a low-speed MyGig unit ready to install and that's all I really want. Good point about the swirl motor and N23 updates, I will have to check for them when looking.

JR - Do you know what were the additional extras that came with the 65th Anniversary Edition? Does it have electric seats, dual-zone climate control, steering wheel stereo controls or the GPS in it?

It's funny you should comment because yours is the exact Commander I was going to base my build on as I love the look! Even funnier is that one of the Commanders I'm looking at currently is a 65th Anniversary Edition in the same colour as yours! Haha. I hope you don't mind mate? They do say imitation is the ultimate form of flattery!

I did see that you were running the 265/70's - did you need to cut the ball joint bolt or run spacers to get them to clear? Have you done the pinch weld mod? If not, is that what's causing your rubbing? Also, are the poly airs needed for heavy towing only? I was thinking about the CRD Stu 2.5-3.0" lift with the HD springs, so might not need air bags?

Also, is there a cargo barrier available for these either with or without the 3rd row seats? What have you guys done with your cargo areas? I was thinking of removing the seats, making a storage box like the guys on the USA forums and then integrating an auxiliary battery, fridge slide and cargo barrier. I hope it can be done as I have big plans for all that room in there!

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 07-12-2014

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that the limited has is an electric tailgate. Mine is the anniversary model as well and I assume that was one of the extras they threw in - or maybe I was just lucky, dunno. But I so love just pushing the button to open up the back.
As previously said though, with those extras you're planning you will have a great truck.
Go for it
Old 07-12-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I run the 265x65 tyres, the reason being, they are the same sizes as the Pajero/Prado so readily avilable.

Where this may become important, is if you require a tyre in the outback, they would be much easier to source.

With the quadra drive locking diffs, different size tyres may cause the quadra drive to think one wheel is slipping, or worse three wheels are slipping.

Well that's my reasoning.
Old 08-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned that the limited has is an electric tailgate. Mine is the anniversary model as well and I assume that was one of the extras they threw in - or maybe I was just lucky, dunno. But I so love just pushing the button to open up the back.
As previously said though, with those extras you're planning you will have a great truck.
Go for it
Ahh, cool.... so the 65th Anniversary that I'm looking at might have this too? I'll have to check. That would be pretty sweet. I do like that feature on my wife's KJ, especially when you are carrying something.

What other features does yours have? **Does it have electric seats, dual-zone climate control, steering wheel stereo controls or the GPS in it?

Getting pretty keen now, sounds like Commander owners are happy owners!