O/s pistons for the 3.8 V6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-03-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 567 Times in 291 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default O/s pistons for the 3.8 V6

So after a massive hydraulic lock at 5,000 rpm, (which bent 3 conrods) I am looking for oversize pistons as one bore has rust damage (due to time restraints before dismantling, only a few weeks) and sleeving distorts the other bore next to it, although could sleeve all three I guess

It would seem even in USA they are not common, can have some custom made at $125 us dollars ea

Question; Anyone here know of a supplier?, also looking for another brand that might fit even with some modification

One expensive puddle

Bob
Old 22-03-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

If it was mine I would want all six the same. Sleeve all or get another block.
Old 22-03-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts

I would think surface rust will come off with a hone. Probably the least of your likely problems.
Old 27-03-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd be heading off to the wreckers and dropping in a used one.
Old 31-03-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 567 Times in 291 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looking at getting a rebuild kit from 505 Performance in the states, .030 O/s forged pistons, seems best value for money and an increase in power stage 2; $1,995 US + 6 forged conrods machined not cracked are $275 extra comes with everything else

Has anyone here dealt with them

Thanks for the replies, the bore is beyond honing (tried) and figures like $6,500 for second hand, guaranteed for 3 months only, there is a guy in Qld who will rebuild for $4,650 + freight either way, but sleeving and other problems are extra, probably would have run out to $7,000 and would have only been standard

Bob
Old 31-03-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

$6500 for a 3.8 is way way too much. I would have thought they would be less than half that.
http://www.jeepshop.com.au/recycled-jeep-engines.html
$4400 for a 3.6

Last edited by Snort; 31-03-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 31-03-2017
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
Looking at getting a rebuild kit from 505 Performance in the states........Has anyone here dealt with them
Yes... they build some mean engines, but power comes from burning fuel so how is the injection / ignition going to be retuned if there's a significant change ? Tuning Chrysler ECU's isn't mainstream over here. Tuning can be time consuming and expensive to get decent performance and fuel consumption..... F'ing it up is easy.

They are in my experience challenging to deal with..... patchy or no response to emails, not available via phone and never "get back to you" when promised. In short pretty typical of some US suppliers, the world ends at the border.