Cherokee -98 2.5TD stops/stalls - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all, just thought I'd update my adventures.

Pulled off my EGR valve assembly. It was full of gunk and stuck open, so with a few gentle hammer taps and plenty of WD40 its now cleaned and unstuck.

I also have cleaned the maf/map(?) sensor in the air box, replaced my air filter, dropped my oil (general maint.) & replaced my brittle fuel return lines from the injectors. I had high hopes that this would make a difference, but in testing un the driveway whilst stationary, still able to make the car stall if I rev to 2800rpm and take foot off.. Seems to happen 1 in 4 times..

I'm after new washers for the injectors to make sure no air leaks, else I agree with M_S that probably a good idea to get engune's fault codes read..

Cheers.
Old 18-09-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post
Hi Vux unsure on that one I tried fitting my blocking plate the other day but the aluminum plate I used is too thick. What did you make yours out of ? Also did you use plenty of gasket goo ? Do you also notice a difference in the way it handles? I've read the acceleration should become more linear rather than kicking in massively around 2k

I was looking around on eBay the thee day and came across a maf sensor that claimed a faulty maf could cause stalling etc etc. there is a high chance it's bull*** but it could be worth looking into. Cleaning the maf or maybe temporarily replacing it with a working one from someone who might have a spare.

The other thing that comes to mind would be the no1 injector. Perhaps test the resistance to the sensor with a multimeter.

After that I'm thinking of going to jeep and getting a read out and clear of the computer and see what that says as when It stall the engine light comes on so an error code must be stored in the system somewhere
I made mine of some thin alu plate that I had in my garage and used plenty of gasket. Didnt make any difference in performance for me since it wasnt stuck open in the first place and I had allready removed the vacum hose.

Maybe I should buy a new/used MAF just to test.
Old 26-09-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally got my ODBLink MX reader working with my jeep after I did upgrade to the newest firmware.

Result:
No errorcodes stored.

Engine Coolant Temperature = -35C (Can only find one sensor, but my book says there should be two. The one I found has three wires. Is it possible that there are two sensors in one unit?)

Intake Temperature = 250C (This sensor with four wires is co-located with the boost sensor , but how do I measure it?

Last edited by vux; 28-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 26-09-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Default Cherokee -98 2.5TD stops/stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vux View Post
Finally got my ODBLink MX reader working with my jeep after I did upgrade to the newest firmware.

Result:
No errorcodes stored.

Engine Coolant Temperature = -35C (There seems to be to temp sensors, one that I have already measured and this one located on the turbo side. Hard to find. When I disconnected the wire it showed -45C on the reader)

Intake Temperature = 250C (This sensor is co-located with the boost sensor)

Tomorrow I will measure the sensors manually with my multimeter to see if they both are failed.
Hey Vux that's great about your reader, youll have to tell me how you set it up.sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Have you done a boost leak test ? When my xj loses power i can hear the turbo still spool up as normal if not more it just doesn't feel like the engine is receiving the power. Do you have any oil leaks from around the turbo or intake manifold ?
Old 04-10-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post
Hey Vux that's great about your reader, youll have to tell me how you set it up.sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Have you done a boost leak test ? When my xj loses power i can hear the turbo still spool up as normal if not more it just doesn't feel like the engine is receiving the power. Do you have any oil leaks from around the turbo or intake manifold ?
My engine sound is normal when/before it stalls so I have allways thought in my mind that this is a electrical problem. I have ordered new MAF and ECT sensors. Will report back the result.

The trick with the reader was to upgrade the firmware. I had to do it with a computer with integrated bluetooth and the newest firmware from http://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink_mx/
Old 06-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Default Cherokee -98 2.5TD stops/stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vux View Post
My engine sound is normal when/before it stalls so I have allways thought in my mind that this is a electrical problem. I have ordered new MAF and ECT sensors. Will report back the result.

The trick with the reader was to upgrade the firmware. I had to do it with a computer with integrated bluetooth and the newest firmware from http://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink_mx/
Interesting read Vux do you have any issues with it ?

How often does it stall on you ? I hope the sensors have the fix
Old 09-10-2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Changed MAF sensor yesterday, still stalls. Waiting for the ECT sensor now.

Can't locate the Air intake temperature sensor on my enginge. Thought it was co-located with the MAF but I was probably wrong.

It stalls when I am pushing the revs a bit (over 2500 revs) and then release the throttle. I can get it to do this all day long
Post New Thread  Reply