JEEP worth nothing. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2015
Trail Twister

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 840 Times in 479 Posts

Some 4.7s had their engine numbers stamped with an electric pen. Same as the last digits of vin number. It is a series of small dots as BB is probably aware. VERY HARD TO READ. Someone would know how to read them or punch a new one and the fish and chip guy.
Old 23-02-2015
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

Text and diagram from the FSM...

The 4.7 liter (287 CID) eight-cylinder engine is an 90° single overhead camshaft engine. The cast iron cylinder block is made up of two different components; the first component is the cylinder bore and upper block, the second component is the bedplate that comprises the lower portion of the cylinder block and houses the lower half of the crankshaft main bearings. The cylinders are numbered from front to rear with the left bank being numbered 1,3,5 and 7, and the right bank being numbered 2,4,6 and 8. The firing order is 1–8–4–3–6–5–7–2. The engine serial number is located at the right front side of the engine block (Fig. 1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.7L Serial Number.gif
Views:	135
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	70708  
Old 24-02-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

I have looked at the old block and the number is there I cleaned it and sprayed it with silver paint did this to the one in the car it is very hard to get a hand in there , but MY WIFE can read the bloody number . the mechanic couldn't find it , he had phoned the BP here and they directed him to near the oil filter of all places , which is in the wrong place , I tried to direct vic roads at Maryborough which charged me 47 bucks for the booking , but the woman could not see , I then had to go to ballarat where they couldn't see it either , which they told me I had to take it to jeep ,
I am crook as a dog , I now weigh only 55 kilos and seem to be losing weight quickly , I can hardly turn a spanner . I could really just give up .
doctors here in Victoria are useless , mechanics here are nothing but wing nuts .
I will now take it to the only place out of two , where it will cost me another 150
all up will cost me just over 600 just for one piece of blue paper and then cost me rego which all up about 1400. just another way for a little piss weak leaching town to bleed someone. ill be glad when its done so I can get the hell of this hotel California.
Old 24-02-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Surely you can go back to the original mechanic. He is supposed to be a professional and find the number. It's not your job. Otherwise ask for your money back.
Old 24-02-2015
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I bought a old holden from bloke in Vic. The motor that was in it was a new block from the US. Obviously it didn't have an engine number on it. All he needed to do was go to a mechanic (I know another mechanic) and have them restamp a number on the block. It didn't matter what the number was, just so long as they could cross reference when they registered it.

Sorry to hear your not well fella!! Try not to stress to much with this, I know it can get you down!!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 24-02-2015
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I bought a JK in QLD & brought it to NSW. Went to transfer the rego here & found no engine number. Seems that they are not mandatory in the US, so many blocks don't have them.

RTA, (at the time), issued a new number for it & mech stamped it on. (After search by mech, then RTA, then back to mech...)
Old 24-02-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I bought a JK in QLD & brought it to NSW. Went to transfer the rego here & found no engine number. Seems that they are not mandatory in the US, so many blocks don't have them.

RTA, (at the time), issued a new number for it & mech stamped it on. (After search by mech, then RTA, then back to mech...)
that was also the issue for wifes jk , they are there , but can not be seen . just like the wj , it has a number but very hard to see.
but because the wj has had a engine change this is the problem .
and because this town is full of nothing . I went back to the mec ask , he said did not want to touch jeeps anymore , but after a second time he said he will do a rewrite , which I pay.
living it up in the hotel California.
Post New Thread  Reply