Ladder frame vs. monocoque chassis longevity - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: Stronger over time: Ladder frame or monocoque?
Ladder Frame 21 87.50%
Monocoque 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2004
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Did the body recover at all... or is it permanently twisted now? Doesn't sound good.....
yeah it flex back...
i really want to twist monocroue so bad tht the window cracks

but i guess you properly can weld in an internal frame to makw the monocroque a bit more stronger..
Old 07-03-2004
Rock Munki

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Yep - you can weld and make the mono a bit stronger - but it wont flex anywhere as good as be4.

Can I take pics when the windows crack????

Will U invite me B4 hand?

Wist and Twist - now there IS a challenge. Pop a window under flex....
Old 08-03-2004
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Wist and Twist - now there IS a challenge. Pop a window under flex....
new jambo event?
if i can manage to "pop" the window from twisting the frame. you'd know abou tit.
Old 08-03-2004
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I've had the tailgate problem, was all twisted up with one front and one rear off the ground. Opened the tailgate to get out the shovel and it wouldn't close enough for the 'open door' light to go off. Never had it in any other siuation and as soon as one og the wheels was on the ground all was fine again. The US guys will tell you you can wheel an XJ without the front doors but dont take out the tailgate, it seems to be a structural piece and certainly limits the twist. There's a few guys on JU that have popped the rear window out but typically they have also cut the rear guards past the seams which will allow even more twist. The body can then actually start to seperate. If the guards are cut you eithier dont go past the seam or you weld it up good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-07-2005
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My doors nearly fell off. I drive an XJ.
Old 07-07-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone here seems to have a good understanding of the pros and cons of the two methods.
Why can't aussie 4x4 jounos put things this simply ?
There's no doubt that the monocoque concept is very well suited to a 4x4 wagon. It helps to maximise interior space, strength/weight ratio, safety scores, ride/handling. After driving a new Patrol recently, I had forgotten about the scuttle shake these things get over minor bumps. They must be real bad on a rough road at speed.

Having said all that, there's no doubt that a separate chassis is the way to go for utes, swbs and anything you might want to modify heavily. Good news then that TK will still have a chassis.

Over the next couple of years, Jeep will have three fairly distinct model ranges to suit a wider variety of customers :

TK and variants - separate chassis, live axles front and rear, swb and lwb Wranglers, 4 door wagon ( Cherokee ?? ), utility ( Gladiator ). Trad Jeeps. Factory lockers on some models.

KJ/KK/WH/XH - monocoque, independent suspensions, reasonable ground clearance and angles, low range. Will still have good off road capability but not really designed with the Rubicon Trail in mind anymore. Factory lockers on some models, electronic traction control on others.

MK/Compass/Patriot - monocoque, independent front and rear, soft roader, ok for light beach work, snow, bad weather. Great compared to a RAV4 but you're not gunna sell your built XJ for one of these. Electronic traction systems.

I really think Jeep is way ahead of everyone else with their platforms. Only Land Rover has spent serious money recently on developing new off-road capable vehicles and they're really barking up the wrong tree. Disco3 has all the DISadvantages of monocoque ( cost, complexity ) AND all the DISadvantages of a chassis ( flex, shudder, high weight ).
Old 07-07-2005
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Try and open or close the back door when fully flexed, if you get it open you can't get it closed.