XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 59 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2011
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

yep its a tj/jk thing only xj`s miss out, looks like more welding on the jeep .does it ever end?
Old 06-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After giving myself a headache from reading the last 23 pages I've decided to bypass the radiator and mount a bigger transmission cooler in front of the radiator in place of the small factory cooler.

It looks like there are 4 main transmission coolers mentioned in this thread:

1. PWR (280mm x 255mm x 19mm) - $142 delivered - www.racecarparts.com.au

2. Davies Craig 678 (281mm x 213mm x 20mm) - $139 delivered - SuperCheapAuto

3. B&M 70264 (280mm x 152mm x 38mm) - $130 delivered - Rocket Industries

4. B&M 70268 (280mm x184mm x 19mm) - $124 delivered - Rocket Industries

Which of the above is the best fit for an XJ and easiest to install? The B&M 70264 might be a bit thick (twice the thickness of the others). Is one brand a better quality or better design than the other?

Last edited by Oli-dogg; 07-10-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Updated prices
Old 06-10-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

I put a 678 on mine. It just required two pieces of flat ali mounted vertically into the top and bottom plate and the cooler popped onto them. I mounted the cooler on the hot side which raised the temp a few degrees but I have a hi-flow fan on order that will suck air through both the cooler and rad when I need it.
Old 07-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've updated the prices and there's not much difference. Since it comes down to size (bigger the better?) first I will look at the PWR cooler followed by the 678. I'll measure behind the grill and work out which one will fit the best before ordering.
Old 07-10-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

get the biggest stacked plate unit you can. think it was the b&m unit
Old 07-10-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgebone View Post
get the biggest stacked plate unit you can. think it was the b&m unit
OK now I am confused. So you are saying the cheaper & smaller B&M units are the most efficient / best designed of the 3?

PWR
PWR’s Patented dimpled design universal plate and fin Transmission oil coolers are made of a full Aluminium construction that allows the cooler to be lightweight, compact and rigid while offering a high heat transfer and corrosion resistance. The patented dimple plates re-direct the oil flow, and in conjunction with the unique louvered fin design provide highly efficient cooling with low-pressure drop. PWR plate and fin transmission coolers are manufactured in 19mm core size for transmission, power steering and differential cooling for race and road applications as well as small engine cooling. Standard product range fittings include 3/8", 5/16" hose barb and dash 6 AN screw fittings, however PWR’s flexible manufacturing facility can offer custom fittings for specific applications on batch volumes as well as brazed thermo switch connections for fan operation.

Davies Craig
The Hydra-Cool® transmission oil cooler is an effective & economical way to keep the transmission at its optimum operating temperature. High efficiency turbulators in each tube direct the fluid for superior heat transfer. Hydra-Cool's® unique plate & fin design allows for effective cooling, yet requires 33% less space. The Hydra-Cool's® compact design is perfect for applications where available mounting space is limited.

B&M
* Stacked Plate design
* ‘Low Pressure Drop’ feature
* All aluminum construction
* Oven brazed construction
* Small & efficient design
* Includes installation kit
* 3/4” thinline coolers are ideal for tight fit locations
* 3/8” extended nipple fittings providing improved hose & clamp contact

B&M SuperCoolers are 100% aluminum construction and use stamped plates sandwiched together to create one of the most efficient oil cooling devices available. Not only does this unique design provide for maximized cooling through more efficient heat dissipation but it also provides a much sturdier cooler which is practically impervious to flying rocks or other debris. The Super-Coolers intended for automatic transmission fluid also offer an additional feature known as “Low Pressure Drop”. The coolers assembled with hose barb ends include a unique bypass feature allowing a controlled amount of ATF to bypass the stacked plate core when the fluid is cold. This is beneficial in cold climate areas to guard against lube system failure. Controlled by viscosity, fluid is returned directly to the lube circuit through bypass openings in the stacked plate core. As the temperature increases, more ATF is directed through the core. This highly efficient design combines improved protection against lube system failure with the required levels of optimal heat transfer.
Old 08-10-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

a relatively smaller stacked plate unit will outperform a larger fin and tube unit. thus the reason why you wont find huge stacked plate coolers - a larger surface area simply isnt necessary due to the better cooling efficiency. plate and fin fit somewhere in between the two for performance (this is your third choice to confuse things even more). i just went for max cooling effect thus the smaller stacked plate unit. b&m had the biggest and best construction i could find after extensive research. pwr had shit and i just removed a fin and plate pwr unit from a wrig and fit the b&m stacked plate in its place (on a JK auto). also, stacked plate units are usually deeper so basically give you the same volume as the larger, cheaper fin and tube units. my choice will always be stacked plate for anything.

and just an update for my setup: i've been doing a lot of rush hour traffic driving this week (1.5 hours or more each way). ive found without the 3 aux fans switched on the tranny was hitting 210*F. with the fans on it came down to 180*F at speeds of less than 30kph. generally tho, around town and without the aux fans on it never goes over 180*F at speed (and usually much less). this is the stacked plate unit and bigger cfm aux fan (the 4th fan) making a bigger contribution. the three smaller fans dont usually get switched on in this circumstance. offroad temps hit 230*F until the aux fans were switched on to keep things in check at 185-190*F. so far so good but i can see temps exceeding the max 190*F spec on hot days (its spring here so ambient temps are only about 24 at most right now). im not too sure anything can be done about that but at least its only sporadic on hard climbs. i can live with that rather than going 250*F in most situations (or worse).

i will also say this: i never ran a cooler on my car for the first 5 years and i wheeled it hard. i am quite sure my tranny temps well exceeded 250*F much of the time. the important thing to say is it never hurt the tranny (mine is original w/235K on it and never been apart or had a problem). i just keep the fluid fresh every other year. so are coolers really necessary? i think so here in WA but only in the respect that they will promote tranny life. the xj tranny is pretty stout to begin with. even without a cooler it will rarely fail. but i do like helping keep things going longer than normal so coolers ARE justified in my opinion however not really necessary. i think we have made too much out of this in this thread. but i would do it again in one form or another. after all, too much cant hurt! seems to be the Jeep theme

Last edited by Rodgebone; 08-10-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply