Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

These bolts are hold in place with Loctite. Bolts must be replaced with fresh ones once you loosen them (Threads are precoated with kinda bluish special Loctite) or you have to reapply a coat of Loctite- otherwise, see above...
Old 09-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
I have also spoken to customer service at Jeep Australia, who were very helpful in explaining there was two parts to the recall fix. 1) Inspection of chassis showing no cracks, then a strengthening weld was to be done. 2) if cracks were visable in the chassis then plates to be welded to chassis for strengthening.
And the issue is that many, many years ago when they announced the recall a large number of XJs were checked and option 1 (at most) was carried out. But it didn't solve the problem and over time the chassis area weakens anyway. Like you, my XJ showed the first step of the recall had been done and Chrysler performed the second without question.

Probably because when i called the dealer my first comment was "how could you build a car with this fault and allow it on the road".
Old 09-07-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 819 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj jorg View Post
Mine is a post date 98 and I had just had mine repaired for serious cracks.Had notice some noise and steering wobble.Was checking rod ends,panhard ball joints and whatever else than looked up and noticed the cracks between the steer box bolts and also along the bottom edge of chassis rail.Took to a panel beater who repaired it and he also found cracks under the sway bar mounts as well.Was cracked really bad in places.I run 32s and 4.5 lift.Rang the dealership who said all recalls were done on mine but did also find the recall code on the net which said the recall for that issue ended August last year.Updates are prone to the problem as well.
just while we are on the subjects of cracks in XJ's,
i have noticed on all 3 XJ's i have a 98, & 2 99 models the rear shock mounts have all cracked and ripped off the floors, if you lift up the boot capret and look just behind the back seats you will notice it, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and is it an issue, i have had one of the jeeps re-welded just to be safe though.
Old 12-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update..... Heard from my local Jeep dealer today. They have spoken with Jeep Australia and the work/repairs will be done under the recall. Parts have been ordered and now just have to wait for the car to be fixed. So far, very happy with the service and follow up from both Jeep Australia and my local dealer City Jeep - Adelaide
Sponsored Posts
Old 12-07-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats good to know Kel, think i'll be taking my jeep in next week for a check up.
Old 23-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Update....... I picked the XJ up last night..... all fixed. There has been plates welded on the chassis and all looking pretty good. Steers well, no complaints about the repairs........ HOWEVER,........ I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat. Did I forget to mention that they must have forgotten to tell me they accidentally broke that. It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesnt ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didnt rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line...... Guess who's getting a phone call first thing Monday morning?????
Sponsored Posts
Old 24-07-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat.
Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Quote:
It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesn't ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didn't rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line......

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars
Old 24-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazwegion View Post
Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars
It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldnt have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Regardless of whether they were "under the gun" or not, they still should have completed the repair properly and not done a near enough is good enough job which created another potential for a major incident. As for the "no fee", the dealer still gets reimbursed by Jeep, so the dealer is not out of pocket.

Is it becoming more obvious that I am a tad shitty with the Dealer involved?? They are probably lucky they werent open yesterday when I found the problem.... would have made for a interesting phone conversation
Post New Thread  Reply