Today I had a pleasure of changing front axel seal. The long side has been leaking for a while with slow annoying drops here and there. Interestingly, it was repaired a couple of years ago with new seals, but effectively started leaking one month later.
Nevertheless, I decided to have the issue corrected. Guys at Murchison offered to have it fixed for around $450 with some form of triple membrane seal that apparently optimal for the worn-out axels. I could not find these seals online so opted to order a couple of basic ones from Rockauto. I ordered two: Spicer for $5 and somewhat more expansive Timken that cost me $10. Effectively, I figured I could do it myself.
I have had some basic power tools, torque wrenches and borrowed special seal sitting tool. I managed to take if all apart and put back together in under 4 hours. On the ground. With seal sitting tool inserting a new seal was a matter of uneventful five minutes.
What worried me quite a bit, that the old seal, also Timken, had no signs of wear. It was in perfect condition looking brand new.
I test fitted the new seals onto the half shaft and noted that Timken seal had noticeable more play while seating on the shaft. Spicer one felt somewhat tighter and more snug. I opted to install the cheaper Spicer product and will use a bit thicker oil hoping that increased viscosity will prevent easy leaks.
Here is a couple of pictures.