Ausjeep @ Facebook
Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default push start a jk

Hi I tried to push start my jk as It has a flat battery. I rolled it down the drive in reverse popped the clutch and nothing. Is it coz of the safty thingo that will not let the car start without depressing the clutch? Is there a way to bypass that feature?

Sponsored Links
Old 27-01-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

low 4 it is disabled.
Old 27-01-2014
DetroitDemon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It can easily be disabled based on my mates comments (good mechanic and fellow jeep owner) but I am not sure exactly how but yes it is fairly easily done apparently
Sponsored Links
Old 27-01-2014
ARB Tripper

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 385 Times in 210 Posts

I tow started my other XJ diesel. Needed a bit of juice in the battery so as the electronic stuff works.

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort.
Old 27-01-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: push start a jk

2nd gear is the best way to clutch start
Mines an auto so I cant look at the switch and my sons manual is 500ks away but you should be able to tape or cable tye the the switch in so it is in the closed position
If its a diesel I would be careful with clutch starting due to the higher compression ratio

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
Old 28-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default push start a jk

Modem cars need an approx minimum of 5.5 volts to run the ECU (engine control module) this controls the ignition timing and fuel injection. So even if you clutch it, unless these parameters are meet voltage wise it will not start.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default push start a jk

There is nothing wrong with clutch starting diesel either. But like modern petrols the modern diesels that are controlled by an ECU still require minimum voltage.
Old 01-02-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlamb View Post
Modem cars need an approx minimum of 5.5 volts to run the ECU (engine control module) this controls the ignition timing and fuel injection. So even if you clutch it, unless these parameters are meet voltage wise it will not start.
Correct. Also, I believe the Cam Position Sensor in the JK's motor (well, the 3.8L V6 anyway) will not provide a read if the engine is turning over below about 500-550rpm, which is the reason why they stall so easily if you let the revs drop since the CPS stops sending a readable signal to the computer & the engine just shuts down.

So this could be a problem getting the JK to roll fast enough in order to turn the engine over at higher than 500rpm when you drop the clutch.
Old 01-02-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The CRD jk will start with the cam sensor removed/unplugged
low range in 1st wouldn't be very fast to get 500rpm tho
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014
No Winching

Liked 119 Times in 61 Posts

Both the flywheel and cam position sensors on the 3.8 are Hall Effect which means they can detect a static object, They are not Variable Reluctance sensors which do have minimum speed requirement but the automotive world has pretty much moved on to Hall... and for many years now..

Of course what the ECU does with this position information is a whole different ball game, it may be being discarded as "not credible" due to the low crank speed.

The 3.8 will "run" without a flywheel sensor ( but not well, and its certainly not happy ) but it may require a few tries to get it to start.