Mounting a compressor - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand


Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler


Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 15-01-2018
dimo  dimo is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 264
Likes: 6
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default Mounting a compressor

Greetings and salutations, I am in the process of upgrading to a ARB twin compressor and am looking at mounting locations. As I understand the 3 most common locations are engine bay, under front seats and in the boot. For those who have mounted their compressor within the car, which way did you go and if you had the option would you do it differently?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dimo; 15-01-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Sponsored Posts
  #2  
Old 15-01-2018
StuieG  StuieG is offline
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 224
What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Likes: 94
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Mine is only a single and it's mounted under the front passenger seat. Very handy, water and dust penetration are at a minimum, but it is noisy inside when it's running.

I would certainly not put it above the battery.

I'm looking at upgrading to a twin with a separate tank and I'll cut the boot floor out and weld in a larger box and mount it in there with a spare battery
Likes: (1)
  #3  
Old 15-01-2018
dimo  dimo is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 264
Likes: 6
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuieG View Post
Mine is only a single and it's mounted under the front passenger seat. Very handy, water and dust penetration are at a minimum, but it is noisy inside when it's running.

I would certainly not put it above the battery.

I'm looking at upgrading to a twin with a separate tank and I'll cut the boot floor out and weld in a larger box and mount it in there with a spare battery
Appreciate the info, thanks mate!
Likes: (1)
  #4  
Old 15-01-2018
Nanook's Avatar
Nanook  Nanook is offline
AJOR Bronze
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lake Macquarie, NSW.
Age: 49
Posts: 1,954
What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Likes: 529
Liked 750 Times in 518 Posts
Default

I have the single ARB compressor which I mounted to the side of my drawers in the rear. I then ran a hose line down behind the left tail light and out to a fitting behind the rear bar. That way I can hook up the air line without opening anything. The operating switch is mounted on the A pillar switch pod.

I'm seriously thinking of adding a small tank down the track to speed things up a little even though I'm quite happy with the performance.

It's a little noisy in the cabin when running but it's only the missus that has to put up with it. I'm always outside airing up.

If I didn't have the drawers, I would have bought the bracket to mount it under the seat. I seems to me to be the most convenient position.
__________________
Cheers,
Jamie
Likes: (2)
Sponsored Posts
  #5  
Old 15-01-2018
dimo  dimo is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 264
Likes: 6
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I have the single ARB compressor which I mounted to the side of my drawers in the rear. I then ran a hose line down behind the left tail light and out to a fitting behind the rear bar. That way I can hook up the air line without opening anything. The operating switch is mounted on the A pillar switch pod.

I'm seriously thinking of adding a small tank down the track to speed things up a little even though I'm quite happy with the performance.

It's a little noisy in the cabin when running but it's only the missus that has to put up with it. I'm always outside airing up.

If I didn't have the drawers, I would have bought the bracket to mount it under the seat. I seems to me to be the most convenient position.
My first thought was mounting under the seat as it does seem a very convenient position, I just have to check if it can actually fit. I have aftermarket heating for my seats and I believe the wiring may interfere.
  #6  
Old 21-01-2018
timbotrog  timbotrog is offline
Lowranger Shocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,738
What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Likes: 147
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Default Compressor location

I mounted my ARB twin compressor under the pax side roll cage using a Springtail Solutions MOLLE rack with the air output exiting via the US licence plate mount.

The Springtail rack is from Jeep Konnection and also doubles as a tie down point for my drawers and other bulky stuff in the rear when the drawers aren't in there.

It's now a simple matter of stop, flick the switch on the A pillar and go. No messing about with opening the bonnet, dragging out the compressor etc. My 35"s are inflated in under a minute each.

 photo IMG_1995_zps2501ca2a.jpg

 photo IMG_3040_zps7e201a89.jpg
__________________
I'm interested in apathy.
2014 Anvil JKU Rubicon
Likes: (5)
Sponsored Posts
  #7  
Old 22-01-2018
dimo  dimo is offline
CrawlerStar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 264
Likes: 6
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotrog View Post
I mounted my ARB twin compressor under the pax side roll cage using a Springtail Solutions MOLLE rack with the air output exiting via the US licence plate mount.

The Springtail rack is from Jeep Konnection and also doubles as a tie down point for my drawers and other bulky stuff in the rear when the drawers aren't in there.

It's now a simple matter of stop, flick the switch on the A pillar and go. No messing about with opening the bonnet, dragging out the compressor etc. My 35"s are inflated in under a minute each.
That looks perfect! Might go down a similar route. Thanks for sharing!
  #8  
Old 22-01-2018
LeighP's Avatar
LeighP  LeighP is offline
MudSplasher
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Macarthur Region, SW Sydney
Posts: 1,812
What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Likes: 1,044
Liked 572 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Only thing I'd add is (as mentioned above) stay away from mounting near the battery.....batteries and heat are enemies, and compressors get very hot.
I've got one in a bag and I added an Anderson plug in the back to power it.....I have a long lead that lets me carry it where I want. Downside is I have to remember to put it in the JK, lol.
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


» Advertisements_AS2




Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3



All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:12 AM.




AJOR does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of AJOR or any entity associated with AJOR, nor should any advice be substituted as technical advice replacing that of a mechanic. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use AJOR to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, religious, political or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by AJOR. The owner, administrators and moderators of AJOR reserve the right to delete any message or members for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless AJOR, the administrators, moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). The use of profile signatures to intentionally mislead or misdirect any member on this forum is not acceptable and may result in your account being suspended. Any trip that is organised through the AJOR forum is participated at your own risk. If you or your vehicle is damaged it is your responsibility, not that of the person that posted the thread, message or topic initiating the trip, nor the organisers of AJOR or moderators of any specific forum. This forum and associated website is the property of AJOR.





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

AJOR 2002 - 2018 AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM. All corporate trademarked names and logos are property of their respective owners. Ausjeepoffroad is in no way associated with DaimlerChrysler Corporation or Fiat Jeep.
www.midlifemate.com wayalife.com jkwrangler.com ausjeepforum.com jk-forum.com canadianjeepoffroad.com cryptoprofitcalculator.net
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=