OK guys I'm going to start a thread for this buggy build up, will post info and pics all along the way for anyone that might be interested.
It's gonna be a slow process, so don't expect updates that frequently, but as soon as I get anything worth posting I'll put it up.
As you may have already seen, I've been playing with designs etc. came up with a basic outline that I wanted it to look something like this.
There are two options for me with regards to the chassis which I'm still considering at the moment and won't make a decision until I finish purchasing the running gear.
I can get an off the shelf ABT chassis, which suits my needs fine, or Suburban are willing to make a chassis for me to my specification. Both have their pro's and cons. I'll decide on that once I've completed puchasing the running gear and have a better idea how I want to go about completing the project.
On Saturday I purchased a Powerglide auto box for what I believe was a good price. I'm just trying to find someone in Melbourne who can pick it up and put some basic packaging around it so I can get a TNT courier to pick it up and bring it to me. Once i receive it, I'll send it off to an auto shop to get it built.
I'm currently in the process of trying to find a cheap but good set of Dana60 diffs. Have a few people in the US looking for stuff for me, there's a guy in WA with a set, but they're slightly more expensive than I'm willing to spend at this point.
After the discussion in the other thread, the spec that I'm aiming for is:
- Front mounted engine
- Engine will be Holden 3.8L V6 out of a VN commodore (probably supercharged)
- Gearbox is Powerglide 2 speed
- T/case is AtlasII with 4.3:1 reduction
- Diffs. I'm aiming for Dana 60's, high pinion, 35 spline at this point. I'll run them with the factory axles in them, but possibly with CTM u-joints.
- Steering will be hydro, front only
- Shocks will be Swayaway air shocks
- Tyres will be 39.5" iroks on 17" alloys hopefully (depends on price)
- 3 link with panhard front and rear (seems pretty standard with buggies now)
- Wheelbase 108"
The diff choice may change if I can't get a set of D60's for a reasonable price.